DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Both. The port allows for less restriction, so the sub moves more. The tuning of the port allows for specific frequencies to pass easier, thus being "accentuated" (for lack of a better term) and therefore sound louder.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It depends on the frequency...

The attached photo is a graph of the output from the Atlantic Technology AT-1 (stolen with no malice from the Stereophile website)

Atlantic Technology AT-1 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

Note that the red curve is the output from the port and the blue curve is the output from the driver. Their combined output is what you hear.

Not every speaker is the same... that's where the tuning comes in... ;)

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THanks for the imput, so now my next question is... i have a bmw so getting bass into cabin is difficult. so i wanted to do a ported enclosuree sealed to back seat and was wondering if it would be better to put port through the ski pass or to have 2 smaller subs or 1 larger with port elsewhere in trunk?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
There are lots of build logs of BMWs on this forum to look over for ideas. I think the majority of them use the ski pass opening to let bass into the cabin.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
I would think you'll want to get output from both the sub and the port into the cabin. That way you'll hear the enclosure's entire frequency response.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks so im gonna try a box with 2 tens with the port down middle with some extra space for the subwoofers bass to get into cabin through same hole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts