DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pieced together a system from old things and cheap stuff I was able to find. Eventually I'll upgrade, but this is my system for now:

2011 Camaro stock HU->MTX Re-Q 5->Audiocontrol EQX
EQX High Pass->Alpine 4 channel->Alpine SPS-600C components
EQX Low Pass->Rockford 2 channel-> 2 x Kicker Impulse 10" subs

I've got everything pretty dialed in, but of course once you get it "fixed" there always seems to be another level that you can improve. I'm wondering about where to set the crossover.

Basic question: should I just set both of the amps to pass through full range? The EQX has a built in crossover that can be adjusted via resistors. Default comes at 90 but I'm going to change it out for an 80hz crossover. Since the EQX is handling the crossover, is there any good reason for me to have my amps also set to LP/HP and setting crossover points on there? It seems to be making it just more difficult and more steps (or things to forget) because I'm basically having to move the crossover on all 3 EQX, Alpine, and Rockford amps.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if you set both the EQX and the amplifier crossover, you will have two filters. this wont hurt anything, but you will get a slope that is additive. (so if the EQX has 12dB/oct and the amplifier has 12dB/oct, you will get a 24dB/oct slope.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts