DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to upgrade the stereo to a Pioneer AVIC. The 7" screen will require a new dash kit. I would like for it to be made of the birdseye maple wood to match the existing trim.

I can't seem to find a vendor that makes them. Where can I buy a dash kit? Looking for a piece outlined in yellow.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
To find one actually made of wood might be really difficult. I'm afraid it might be something someone would do a single one of and could be quite expensive if it's entirely custom. Could it work for you to get a regular dash kit then have it wrapped with a wood vinyl?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Custom made will cost a good chunk of change. But you may have that since your driving the Benz, lol. Sexy car.

Some guy did his own custom dash kit here on DIYMA, but can't remember who. It came out pretty nice for starters, but am pretty sure the wood finish your looking for can be done.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Oh, didn't realize it was a Mercedes, in that case it should be available somewhere. Just not positive where. I'd try asking on a Mercedes forum.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm already asking on mbworld.org, hehe. There's gotta be a company that offers this. I've seen pics somewhere with this done... it may be fake wood, I dunno.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Its going to cost a lot more if you want the real deal. But even those Benz come with plastic wood, don't they? The only cars I know that come with real wood-grain run over 150k.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
i forgot what the process was, but you can have it wrapped per say... Its really like a film.. it you are wanting the yellow, that would be painted first i believe, then this wood film is layed i think into a water tank or the likes, then the part (dash kit) is layed on top, and the film sucks and shrinks over the kit.. They look nice.. Anyway, i used to have a guy do some different ones for me on certain custom jobs.. everything from woodgrain setups to carbon.. I will try to find the information.. I got him off the corvette forums..

Here you go... You can finish any plastic or metal part... this is a Burlwood example.. So if you got a dash kit, you could have it covered..This is NOT a stick on type thing.. this is finished to your piece, curves, indentions and all..

·
Registered
151 Posts
you could get a regular dash kit and have it veneered to match the finish of your interior wood trim. thats probably your best bet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i forgot what the process was, but you can have it wrapped per say... Its really like a film.. it you are wanting the yellow, that would be painted first i believe, then this wood film is layed i think into a water tank or the likes, then the part (dash kit) is layed on top, and the film sucks and shrinks over the kit..
It is called "hydroimaging". It's exactly what I'm looking for. Here's a video that shows the process. Talk about COOL!

Any good place to buy the dash kits for an AVIC for my car?

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
It is called "hydroimaging". It's exactly what I'm looking for. Here's a video that shows the process. Talk about COOL!

Any good place to buy the dash kits for an AVIC for my car?
i thought it was Hydrocladding....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i thought it was Hydrocladding....
Maybe that is a different process? Or maybe a vendor's branded name for it. Who knows? hehe

Here's another neat video. I'm going to do this. Doubt it will be cheap, but like my pappy always told me, if it's worth doin', it's worth doin' right!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts