DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am finally ground up redoing my install finally and I have upgraded my alternator to an HO and I am in the process of selecting an additional battery to add to my vehicle (more than likely an XS Power 3100)

The truck is a 2003 dodge ram quad cab.....so my question is.....does the additional XS battery have to be mounted in the rear of the truck in close proximity to the subwoofer amp or is it ok to mount it in the hood compartment and run the wire back to the amp?

Advice and tips please.....

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I have done both. Extra battery in the engine compartment and in the cab next to the amp. I think that the most important thing is your HO alternator. the battery/s are just there for when the current demand is more than the alternator can handle. The easiest would be the engine compartment.

Give the Sears Diehard Platinum a look. Just the ease of getting them has placed them as my first choice.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Doubt you need an extra battery unless you want to run stereo off. What is your amps and alt output?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My alternator is a 270A DC Power and I have these amps....

2 Re Audio XTX5000.1 (2500w rms) = 5000w

2 Hifonics Zxi150.4. (600w rms) = 1200w
$
2 Hifinics Zxi80.4. (320w rms) =640w

Total Wattage.....6700 watts

·
Registered
898 Posts
>_< running it at 1 ohm, good god! Ya you need the extra battery sir :D

Why I love running my setup at such high ohms.

Battery wise, doesn't matter if you put it to the front or rear. You also need a battery isolator as well.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
You also need a battery isolator as well.
*Only if they are two different types of batteries. Example:

Having a lead acid battery and adding an AGM to the system then yes. But if they are both AGMs then it doesn't matter.

Another situation you would need one is if you wanted a dedicated battery for running the stereo with the engine off. And have a backup battery to start the vehicle back up.

·
Napoleon of DIYMA
846 Posts
If you put a 2nd battery in the cab make sure you vent it outside, even the seal type have a release valve in case there's a problem and you wouldn't want to breath that ****...

·
Registered
898 Posts
indeed that is true but in most cases you need an isolator. It also has to be the exact same battery, can't be different group sizes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I already have an Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle.....and then WAS gonna add an XS Power 3100.....

Am I not able to run those together? Would it be my better to just buy another Optima Yellow Top? Would those two be enough?

·
Registered
898 Posts
You can but need a battery isolator as I stated above. You don't need one if you run the SAME battery (AGM and group size).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts