DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was thinking i might just have to try out some ribbons since ive been contemplating it a good year. I was thinking about putting them in kicks, but im making door pods now to get rid of kicks so i dont wanna do that again. Where are most of you putting them?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm glassing mine into my a-pillars... and I have a tiny-ass car: a Toyota Paseo.

It should be interesting... these damn all-aluminum bodied Aurum Cantus G2Si bitches are heavy as hell. I'm hoping my little a-pillars can support them!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
just make a mixture of resin and mat (ripped into very small peices)--then hardener----and paint it on the underside of the a-pillar for strength, especially around the mouting post

youll need to rough em up with some sandpaper first to get the "mixture to hold to the stock plastic

at least thats what worked for me :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm just planning on drilling holes in my a-pillars (the plastic that covers them, anyway) and attaching the tweeter pods that way. So far I've glassed the mould that will attach to the pillars... I'm stuck at cutting the baffles for the ribbons and woofers.

No rotozip/router/jigsaw makes Dave a sad boy. I'm borrowing one from a friend.

·
Registered
242 Posts
87DXHatch said:
I'm just planning on drilling holes in my a-pillars (the plastic that covers them, anyway) and attaching the tweeter pods that way. So far I've glassed the mould that will attach to the pillars... I'm stuck at cutting the baffles for the ribbons and woofers.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: you realized if you get into an accident that thing will be a flying discus that slice off your face to infinity, right? For your own safety and that of your passengers, figure out a better way to properly secure those babies down.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do a-pillar plastic coverings normally break loose during accidents? I plan on securing them with multiple screws... not just a couple. Safety is one of my concerns, and I plan on locking these bitches down so that they don't move at all... resonances, accidents, anything.

·
Registered
242 Posts
87DXHatch said:
Do a-pillar plastic coverings normally break loose during accidents? I plan on securing them with multiple screws... not just a couple. Safety is one of my concerns, and I plan on locking these bitches down so that they don't move at all... resonances, accidents, anything.
not if it's housing a 5-6lb speaker/housing. Just make sure to secure it really tight. :D

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Wherever you put them, make sure they are aimed vertically at the listening position. Too high or too low and too close you will lose output.

·
Registered
120 Posts
87DXHatch said:
Yes, the plastic covers themselves can and do come off during an impact. Just check out some of those Insurance Institute for Highway Safety videos. www.iihs.org

Securing the ribbons to the plastic covers themselves, no matter how many screws you use, will not keep them from coming off in an accident. I dont know if you got your ribbons yet but they are heavy.

Screwing them into the metal a-pillar itself would help. Another thing you could do would be to theater them down with some steel cable
this would keep them from hitting you if the ribbons broke away from their mounts. It may seem like overkill but you cant be too careful when it comes to this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok. I was unaware. I shall drill through the plastic and the metal, and mount them to the metal itself.

Thanks for the info.

I don't really understand how the cable you posted would work, though. Could you explain it further?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well its just an idea I had, but I was thinking you if could attach the cable to the tweeter somehow, you could then run the cable down inside the a-pillar and then attach the other end to a large bolt under the dash somewhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
vibrator said:
Well its just an idea I had, but I was thinking you if could attach the cable to the tweeter somehow, you could then run the cable down inside the a-pillar and then attach the other end to a large bolt under the dash somewhere.
Sometimes I think you have strange ideas and I dunno how you come up with them but heck they always work and work great. So keep it up :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm still constructing the a-pillar mounts. Today I will be purchasing a laser to aim the mounting rings, something I rushed through earlier.

I don't know how pretty my install will be, but I'm making damn sure it's functional. :-D

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's functionally complete and in use for the past two weeks. It looks like poo, but I really don't care at the moment. I'll post pics later, but I have to jet off to work.

Overall I am very very very pleased with them, they turned out really well, but they were a ****load of work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.