DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All, sorry for what may be a stupid question.

I have a HAT clarus 12 D2 (sealed in 1.25ft) and a helix M one. The sub is rated at 250w and the amp 240w at 4 ohm, or 600w at 1 ohm, so I have the choice of 4 or 1 ohm.

how would you run it? neither are connected yet, so I can't listen to them yet.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
892 Posts
Easy enough to try both yes ? Just swapping a few wires.

IMO 4 ohm will be better, less strain on the amplifier means better SQ. More accuracy in amplifying the signal. But, if its not enough output, maybe 1 ohm works better for you.

Seems like a tradeoff between SQ and output, if you're not asking it to pound your skull I would stick with 4ohm.

· Registered
11,364 Posts
I would run it at 1ohm. And i never suggest that, but in this case it seems like the right answer.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not looking for huge volume (it's in a tiny hatchback) but I was tempted to run it at 1 ohm for the headroom.

That said, I currently have a Peerless XLS10 in the back and that's only being driven by 150w - it's plenty loud enough...

· Registered
2,443 Posts
HI All, sorry for what may be a stupid question.

I have a HAT clarus 12 D2 (sealed in 1.25ft) and a helix M one. The sub is rated at 250w and the amp 240w at 4 ohm, or 600w at 1 ohm, so I have the choice of 4 or 1 ohm.

how would you run it? neither are connected yet, so I can't listen to them yet.

Thanks in advance.
Run both coils all the way to the amp with parallel speaker wire and try it both ways. Your ears will tell you which way is best.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.