DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a sub. I have a 1.3 cu ft sealed 15" sub enclosure. I've also got 270 watts rms @ 2 ohms available.

This will be mounted behind the drivers or passenger seat of my Extended Cab truck (2005 Tacoma) pointed up.

Any ideas on a sub to fit those requirements. My original plan was to use an IDQ15 or an Arc 15D4

THANKS!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm willing to get a bigger box if that is what will work best. The reason I got the 1.3 cu ft box is because that is what was rec. for the IDQ15.

I think I'm going to be pretty limited because of the power I have available at 2 ohms.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The IDQ series does pretty well in a "too small" box. Every time i've been worried about how small the box was in an install with an IDQ(I've owned at least five, and installed at least twice that many in friend's cars) I've made it too big, and ended up reducing the size later.

If you make the box too large with an IDQ they seem to be too inefficient in the upper bass region to work well for general listening. I recently was running an Arc 12 in a lower Q box alignment, and I just couldn't get any "punch" out of it... I've seen many competitors over the years running these subs in puny boxes, and seeming to not have too much trouble with them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can't remember if you were the one who hated all things Elemental Designs, but if you can get your hands on an e15a (flat cone) or e15ae (normal cone) they work pretty amazingly well in tiny sealed enclosures.

My buddy had his in 1 cf and it sounded great in his car.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
87DXHatch said:
I can't remember if you were the one who hated all things Elemental Designs, but if you can get your hands on an e15a (flat cone) or e15ae (normal cone) they work pretty amazingly well in tiny sealed enclosures.

My buddy had his in 1 cf and it sounded great in his car.
Nah, I don't have a problem with eD. Their subs are made by ID, and they're not bad.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stupify said:
What don't you like about the IDQ 15? output?
Actually, I haven't had the chance to listen to one, but they've gotten good reviews as far as I've seen. Just wanted to see if I have any other options. But for my enclosure, power, and ohm load, I think all I can really do is an IDQ, which isn't exactly a bad thing, just wanted to see some different options.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.