DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which 6"x8"/5"x7" speakers would you buy orwould you just tweets?

So here's the deal. I've got some speakers in the rear with blow tweeters. And I have two options.

1. Replace the whole speaker with something else that's 2 way coxial blah blah

2. Leave the woofer part in and the tweeter's disconected (I clipped the postive going to the tweet os i didn't have to hear the thing screaming at me) and simply buy some tweeters to thrown in.

So my question is this, what would you recomend tweeter wise or as a speaker set that's component. Something with a passive crossover. Or would I just be better off buying something two as a whole speaker and be done with it?

Really I'm just looking for persons who've doen this before and what they found was best.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
How about some usefull info :laugh:
How about try it and see how you like it.

If you understand what a sound stage is (and what imaging is), dropping the rears will help you achieve that.

Unless you seriously know what know what you are doing rear fill is detrimental to those things (imaging/stage).

So we are trying to faithfully reproduce music in our cars right?
When was the last time you went to a concert?
See any speakers in the back?
Did you face the band or did you turn around and listen with the band behind you?

This has probably been discussed on this forum 1000 times.

The general consensus is just to drop the rear fill. MAYBE in the future you can add it back in, when you have the understanding and processing to make it work well for you.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
How do you like it with the tweeter disconnected? I know it sound different, but that can mean better sometimes. I say this as someone still running rear fill - the better my front stage gets, the less rear fill I use. I keep pulling fade from them, and eventually I think I will have none. It lets you concentrate on fixing the areas that your front stage is lacking, all the while improving your staging. I am using them for extra volume b/c my car has tiny drivers and is VERY loud (wind and exhaust).

·
Tuning is everything.
2,761 Posts
Disconnect the rears! :D

In all seriousness. I'd leave them with the tweeters disconnected. Maybe run them at a slightly lower level.

The general desire of most of the members here is to have the action happening in front of you. Overbearing highs from the rear destroy this illusion that everything is happening out on the hood of your car.

People here are not trying to be funny by telling you to disconnect the rears. 99% of people I ask to try this are pleasantly surprised that they don't need rear speakers at all. Spend the money you would have used on rears to upgrade your front stage, or processing power IE: EQ or Time alignment or crossovers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Personally the music I listen to, NIN as one example, doesn't happen just in front of you. He kind of takes you on a trip and the music is all around you and just emerges you in it. I wanna feel emerged in an event not necissarily like the band is playing in front of me.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Personally the music I listen to, NIN as one example, doesn't happen just in front of you. He kind of takes you on a trip and the music is all around you and just emerges you in it. I wanna feel emerged in an event not necissarily like the band is playing in front of me.

Guess what... CDs are recorded in 2 channels.

Your car stereo plays 2 channels Left and Right.

Everything at the rear speakers is just a copy of the front speakers. I swear someone says this in EVERY "rear speaker" thread.

If you want to feel emerged in the event, you'd have to play crowd noises through your rear speakers.

Have you tried it yet?

Are you looking for true Sound Quality including staging or are you looking for get stupid loud in the bass and treble range and cancel out 50% of the freq range???

Bottom line, every new guy that shows up on here asks about rear speakers. Everyone then proceeds to say they should disconnect them, the new guy often says "how can that be?" because he has only ever heard a factory car stereo or a best buy style car stereo.

Unless you plan to do it right (with significant processing) don't use rear speakers. You won't be missing any hidden parts of the music....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Fussion, I can see that the idea of losing the rear speakers seems odd when pretty much all cars come from the factory w/ rear speakers. While several here have said that it is counterintuitive to the staging of a real performance venue this 'surround' approach is the car industry status quo that promotes that kind of 'immersion' that you talk about. Not neccessarily a bad thing if you ultimately enjoy your music. However, ya gotta realize that this site/forum pushes the recreation of live music in a vehicle - but w/ more bass j/k - so front stage via two channel stereo and a sub stage is the tried and true Way. [Don't get started on complications of true surround DSP].
However, as it may be difficult to simply abandon what you know just 'cause a bunch of guys are telling you so, maybe listen to the wise words of WRX/Z28:
Disconnect the rears! :D
In all seriousness. I'd leave them with the tweeters disconnected. Maybe run them at a slightly lower level. Quote] Or just fade the rears entirely for a while.

That way you can see if you like it and it won't cost you any money or effort. Much better yet, see if you can listen to a good SQ set up - maybe a volunteer from DIYMA could help you. May turn out that you end up popping a set of new coaxials back there and listen in bliss, or (hehe) turn down that challenging, often frustrating, money draining, but fun path in pursuit of SQ.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
LMAO.

falkenbd is right, nearly everyone says that the music is more than 2 ch. in a "rear-fill" thread. Unless you have something processing the signal, it is NOT.

to the OP:

The forum you are on is mostly going to push you in the direction towards better sound quality, not slapping in "by 9's" in your rear deck as replacement parts. You must understand that we just aren't typical in our response (not useful to you) because we don't do it that way.

If you want the DIYMA way, pull the rear speakers out (or attenuate them greatly), and focus on making your front stage what it should be.

·
Human (not a robot)
2,408 Posts
What kind of car....not that it matters I'm just curious.

Oh yeah, disconnect the rears. :) Unless you have purchased The Downward Spiral remixed in 5.1 and have it playing on a 5.1 system you are not missing hidden rear content.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I did have the rear speakers unhooked, I mean a high pitched locked squeel that just gets lounder and louder OMG LoL. But I really didn't like it that way. My sig has my set up the components are in the front and the others are in the rear. I currently have gotten the tweeters clipped but I'm not to overly happy with the SQ personally. Oh and my HU Is a pioneer DEH -6800MP and i do have the 5.1 of the downard spiral....just wish i could listen to that on my car audio ;d

So that being said what parts do you recomend to acomplish this time delay and passive crossover for a budget of say 140 dollars? Also a good site for building your own active crossover? I have a good study in crucits(mechanical engineer, going for a BS with a minor in electrical).

EDIT: Also the unit does have an active LP and HP in it. I have it on set at 63HZ for the low pass and the HP which seems to help a bit. I had it higher and tried that for my subs but it just didn't sound right going to the next mode above 63HZ, i think it was 63 LoL

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You don't build your own active crossover.

Personally, I'd get a better front stage with the money.

Proper rear fill isn't easy, I don't think you can do it for only $140.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You don't build your own active crossover.

Personally, I'd get a better front stage with the money.

Proper rear fill isn't easy, I don't think you can do it for only $140.
How? Not trying to be a smart arse but I've got those FanaticP fosgate front components, which weren't cheap, so how would you recommend improving it?

OH for the guy asking it's a KIA(killed in asia) Spectra, not the LS the lower version that still has AC and PS

·
Tuning is everything.
2,761 Posts
Why not try bridging that Prestige amp to your front components to start, that might help out with whatever you perceive you are missing without rear speakers.

Past that, You could get into this radio: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/hot-deals/52369-clarion-dxz785usb-active-c-o-t-160-shipped.html

This is the least expensive, and simplest way to go active on your front stage (eliminate the passive crossover that came with the fosgates, and power the tweeters and woofers with seperate channels).

Eliminating rear speakers seems to be a hard concept for most to grasp. I usually like to ask "Why do you prefer sound behind you?" I've never gotten a good answer other than "Because it's what i'm used to.".

If you notice, your ears are somewhat directional. They are generally aimed to the front of your face. This basically means that we can hear greater detail, and frequency range from things in front of us as opposed to behind us.

Think about it. When someone addresses you, you naturally turn to face them and talk to them. This is not just because it's polite, but because it's easier to hear them this way.

There are other things that rear speakers cause issues with.

Think of sound like waves in a pond. If you throw two stones in, there's some interaction between the waves. There are some peaks, and some troughs, but at the end of the day, they are somewhat manageable, and don't seem to spike anything weird. Throw 4 stones in (in different places), and all of a sudden, all those peaks are in different places, and there are extremely large peaks, and extremely low troughs.

Sound does things like this. Basically, time alignment helps control where these peaks and troughs are in your car, as well as allowing sound from the drivers located all different distances from your head to arrive at your ears at the same time.

Try to treat car audio like you do home audio (not surround sound) or concert going. Think of it the same way, and it will make sense.

There are no rear speakers involved in home audio. Surround sound is a different animal. This is because surround sound has individual tracks recorded for each speaker. Hence 5.1 .

One last thing worth mentioning. I think you had said at some point 'I don't care about imaging, or the illusion of a soundstage'. If this is the case, why not just listen in mono instead. You are basically saying that stereo sound was a useless invention, and mono is better. It's taking a step back in the evolution of SQ. If your tuner in your stereo has the option to go to mono sound, try that setting out. I think you will find it less desireable than stereo.

Hope some of my ramblings helped you out. Seems like you are at least considering some others ideas. You seem less argumentative than some others that have been told this in the past.

Read up here, i'm sure your whole perception of car audio will change drastically.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts