DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Who's a Better Amp Designer?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Odd Q, amplifier designs would imply topology IMO, not the guy who designed it. For the guy that designed it: Gordon Taylor, for the topology: whichever would suit the install best!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Bruce Macmillian. From PPI to JL Audio, he is responsible for some of the best sounding and most popular car amplifiers of alltime.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Bruce Macmillian. From PPI to JL Audio, he is responsible for some of the best sounding and most popular car amplifiers of alltime.
ditto!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
this is like asking "who designed the best car?" too many variables to answer.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Nelson Pass of Threshold and Adcom,John Curl and Bob Carver should not be over looked.
Among others.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My vote as well!!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nelson Pass of Threshold and Adcom,John Curl and Bob Carver should not be over looked.
Among others.
You are so right about Bob Carver. I had a Carver 4120 class G amp and I am so sorry I sold it. Efficient as hell and GREAT sound quality like a tube amp sound. I had two and sold one to my brother and one on ebay and my brother won't sell his back to me!!! Damn him!!! Very underrated amp imho. That amp is the reason I run a Carver amp for my home system now.

·
Registered
18,658 Posts
whoever designed the sony xplod thats rusting in my garage..

·
Registered
556 Posts
Nelson Pass.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Nelson Pass....soundstream...and nakamichi.

plus threshold, adcom, press labs....and maybe a dozen more i am forgetting.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Please let us not forget the late Frank H Mcintosh,Gordon J Gow and Sidney Corderman.
These men have all passed on but should never be forgotten.
They are responsible for the major breakthroughs in high power low distortion audio power amps starting in the late 40's.
They are the reason Mcintosh is legendary.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nelson Pass, Carver, McIntosh, (original / vintage) Nakamichi.

>^..^<

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
As long as they work and fit my install I guess I never bothered to find out who made them.

·
Registered
816 Posts
As long as they work and fit my install I guess I never bothered to find out who made them.

That is like saying that since a Yugo will get you from point A to point B that it is 'good enough'.

Just because an amp makes a noise doesn't mean it is listenable.

>^..^<

1 - 20 of 24 Posts