DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember there was a talk about some Clarion amplifier having the same guts as some other higher end brand. What Clarion model and what is the "other brand"?

Thanks.

·
Human (not a robot)
2,409 Posts
Clarion bought McIntosh so some Clarion amps got Mc internals. I have no idea which amps or if that is even 100% true. I know McIntosh was the highend brand you are trying to figure out.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Clarion bought McIntosh so some Clarion amps got Mc internals. I have no idea which amps or if that is even 100% true. I know McIntosh was the highend brand you are trying to figure out.
LOL... good thing you know that, but you'd be wrong. Mac CDs were the 9255/JDM unit internals, but what he's thinking of is that some Clarion amps were designed by Robert Zeff and built in the same factory as Arc Audio.

No idea which ones...

And Clarion sold Mac some years ago, now owned by the marantz denon boston acoustics axis.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Actually many people have claimed that some Clarion amps, like the APA2150G shared internals with McIntosh amps. At least they seemed to have the "Power Guard" technology, don't know what else.

I don't know if that's true, but Notloudenuf isn't in left field for thinking that.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha, DPX line it is, I recognized the look. Now what about 4 channel ones like APX? It looks the same as DPX.
Arc Audio is what was on my mind, thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Cerwin Vega EXL series has the same boards as Arc as well.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Man is there some smart asses around here these days..

It has been widely stated that 2 Clarion amps were re-bagged McIntosh gear. The amps were before 1996, the Clarion APA-4400G (4x100) and APA-1250G (2x50)

Not sure as as many people say it is not the same as say it is the same..

I have a APA-4400G i will open up to compare to the mcintosh to see if it really is the same, if someone has the older model 4x100 McIntosh...

people are all experts, but rarely are...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts