DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a lot of the design philosophy of Hybrid Audio speaker crossovers, which is to allow the mid woofer to play up to 4-5KHz range or higher in order not to split the human vocal range between four speakers, hopefully improving imaging. I really want to know how this sounds in component setup. Before I jump the gun on HAT Imagine I61-2 component speakers, I want to know if there is any other component speaker in the price range or below that's setup in a similar way?

The only problem that worries me about the HATs is that the tweeter can be reportedly to harsh in component setup. I wonder if this could be tamed by bi-amping or trying a different tweeter.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have been reading a lot of the design philosophy of Hybrid Audio speaker crossovers, which is to allow the mid woofer to play up to 4-5KHz range or higher in order not to split the human vocal range between four speakers, hopefully improving imaging. I really want to know how this sounds in component setup. Before I jump the gun on HAT Imagine I61-2 component speakers, I want to know if there is any other component speaker in the price range or below that's setup in a similar way?

The only problem that worries me about the HATs is that the tweeter can be reportedly to harsh in component setup. I wonder if this could be tamed by bi-amping or trying a different tweeter.
Hybrid Audio are bringing out the Unity line of speakers very soon and although dearer might be what your looking for the look to be a mix of imagine style mid with Clarus style crossover and Clarus tweeter!

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hybrid Audio are bringing out the Unity line of speakers very soon and although dearer might be what your looking for the look to be a mix of imagine style mid with Clarus style crossover and Clarus tweeter!

[email protected]

Damn, choices, choices... ideally I'd like to spend 250-300 dollars only.. Is Clarus tweeter that much better?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Damn, choices, choices... ideally I'd like to spend 250-300 dollars only.. Is Clarus tweeter that much better?
I haven't compared them but I run a set of Clarus C5s with the tweeters set on -3db on the crossovers and the Unity comps would give you this option on the crossovers!
I'm pretty sure you could use the Clarus crossovers with the imagines and they sometimes pop up in the classifieds!
If you sent a email direct to Hybrid Audio with your questions I'm sure they would help you out with a lot of info on attenuating the imagine tweeters if you needed to!

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bi-amping could solve the issue of tweeter not being matched to the woofer. I think it should be possible to bi-amp Hybrid Imagine components with relative ease. I could provide an amplifier with 4x70watt RMS channels. The woofer could run in full range mode (with electronic high pass perhaps) and the tweeter could run with an appropriate inline capacitor. So I am not entirely sold on having the Clarus passive crossovers if their main point is only having better control over tweeter attenuation. However, if Clarus tweeter is _significantly_ better than the Imagine tweeter, then HAT Unity could be an interesting proposition. Instead of bi-amping with 70watts per channel, I could for example bridge and run >200watt RMS per channel with the passive crossover. I am a believer in the idea that amplifier headroom is a good thing, so this could result in a good improvement over (bi-amped) imagines.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I remember reading that CDT HD 2 way comps are crossed over between 4-5k. Their tweeters are also known to sound quite harsh, however.

I think a semi-solution that was posted by either the owner of Hybrid Audio himself or his main dealer was to mount the tweeters off axis to tame some harshness.

I say you pull the trigger and listen to them installed in your car. If you don't like them, re-sell them. Audio impressions are too subjective to make decisions on anything but personal experience, IMO. That's why this hobby can be expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts