DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's what I'm trying to decide. I'm was running a 2-way active frontstage and am in the process of upgrading to a 3-way setup. With this addition I am in need of 2 more channels. I have a JL 300/2 and a Soundstream D200... either one will fill the void. Here are my choices... What would you do in my situation?

Clarion DRZ-9255
JL 900/5 (100x2 to tweeters, 100x2 to mids)
JL 300/2 ( 150x2 to midbass)

or

Clarion DRZ-9255
JL 900/5 (100x2 to tweeters, 100x2 to midbass)
Soundstream D200 (100x2 to mids)

I'm leaning towards the second option. While I'd like to have a little more power on midbass I'd really like to have that super clean D200 running my XR3m drivers since it'll be playing so much of my musical information.

Curious to what others would do in my situation.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Is there are way you can temp install them and switch them out to compare? I mean you have them both anyway and dropping in an amp is much easier that switching out drivers/enclosures

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there are way you can temp install them and switch them out to compare? I mean you have them both anyway and dropping in an amp is much easier that switching out drivers/enclosures
I might be able to do that. I'll be using them for different applications so that'll make it a little more difficult but it might be worth the a/b comparison.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Would love to hear this once you are ready.... the XR's appear truly promising!

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Its a no brainer. Put the 150w on the Dyns. They're not power hungry but they sound so good with a lot of power and the midbass will have the largest power requrements anyway. The HD will be fine on the mids and tweeters. My whole system is HD powered including the Esotar 430 mids.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Difficult to assume which configuration will work best. Kindly elaborate on component set you intent on powering.
My sig says it all... Dynaudio MW160 midbass, Audible Physics XR3m midrange and Morel MT23 tweeters.
Forgive my ignorance, I disabled Sig displays.

This is likely your best bet since you're running full active. SQ setup on the processor will by far alter the mids output. Keep us posted regardless of the outcome.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I would choose the first option since the same brands of amps will bring the same sound character to the driver.
This isn't necessarily true. Completely different characteristics given 1 amp is a 5 channel the other is a 2 channel.

It all comes down to how the listener wants the refined result to play. Toy around with both options, but you must give each route a fair trial. Yes, the process is time consuming & patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My vote would be to bridge the 900/5 for 200W to the Dyns, 300/4 to the mids, and D200 to the tweeters. Mo Power, Mo Better.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
My vote would be to bridge the 900/5 for 200W to the Dyns, 300/4 to the mids, and D200 to the tweeters. Mo Power, Mo Better.

I'm with Jim on this one.

Have you listened to the HD900/5 powering any drivers yet?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm with Jim on this one.

Have you listened to the HD900/5 powering any drivers yet?
Yes... It's a great amp and powers the drivers nicely. The question was with the 300/2 or D200. I've decided to use the 300/2 for asthetics as well as more power for my midbass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts