DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use similar drivers for a center channel in a 5.1 setup for movie play. I know the midbass may be Scan and the tweets are Tymphany, but does anyone know the closest match?

Also, since these drivers may be too big for my dash, any ideas for a good matching full-range or smaller format option?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Both drivers are Scan derrivatives. The midbass being the Scan Rev while the tweeter being the ring radiator variant

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the woofer is Alpine's own invention. There is no Scanspeak product on the market that looks like it. The tweeter is said to be Scanspeak made, but I don't know if Scanspeak has an actual exact product of it. It's possible that the tweeter is also Alpine's own invention. Most of this is just hearsay one way or the other.

If you look at pricing, the cost of both the woofers and the tweeters are low enough not to be a Scanspeak product, not even wholesale. The previous Alpine hardware that was actually Scanspeak was significantly higher priced. The retail product sold for $1000 and the even the wholesale replacement parts were of (relatively) significant value. The current items just aren't, so I'm much more inclined to guess that the Type-X Pro set is Alpine's own development. There is always the chance that Tymphany is a producer of the hardware to Alpine's specs or similar. Alpine has used both Scanspeak and Vifa in the past, both Tymphany companies. I'm sure Tymphany does build a lot of drivers for other companies. However, Alpine is not a small company and is not without their own engineering department. It would be a dishonor towards Alpine to blindly assume that they do not in fact build their own hardware or at the very least co-engineer products with appropriate manufacturers for cost effectiveness or convenience.

To give a scale of cost. The old Revelator based Alpine set, wholesale pricing, would cost around $350-$400 for you to get. The new Type-X Pro set can be had for about $200 total. Pricing is more akin to the Vifa based products that Alpine used. However, Vifa doesn't have a woofer remotely like the Alpine and the tweeter doesn't really match any Vifa product, more so towards Scanspeak but without the hefty price tag. It just leads me to believe that the hardware is simply not Scanspeak products, not the woofers, not the tweeters. Now it may be a collaboration of sorts with Tymphany. I don't know. It's all hearsay.

·
Registered
128 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the woofer is Alpine's own invention. There is no Scanspeak product on the market that looks like it. The tweeter is said to be Scanspeak made, but I don't know if Scanspeak has an actual exact product of it. It's possible that the tweeter is also Alpine's own invention. Most of this is just hearsay one way or the other.

If you look at pricing, the cost of both the woofers and the tweeters are low enough not to be a Scanspeak product, not even wholesale. The previous Alpine hardware that was actually Scanspeak was significantly higher priced. The retail product sold for $1000 and the even the wholesale replacement parts were of (relatively) significant value. The current items just aren't, so I'm much more inclined to guess that the Type-X Pro set is Alpine's own development. There is always the chance that Tymphany is a producer of the hardware to Alpine's specs or similar. Alpine has used both Scanspeak and Vifa in the past, both Tymphany companies. I'm sure Tymphany does build a lot of drivers for other companies. However, Alpine is not a small company and is not without their own engineering department. It would be a dishonor towards Alpine to blindly assume that they do not in fact build their own hardware or at the very least co-engineer products with appropriate manufacturers for cost effectiveness or convenience.

To give a scale of cost. The old Revelator based Alpine set, wholesale pricing, would cost around $350-$400 for you to get. The new Type-X Pro set can be had for about $200 total. Pricing is more akin to the Vifa based products that Alpine used. However, Vifa doesn't have a woofer remotely like the Alpine and the tweeter doesn't really match any Vifa product, more so towards Scanspeak but without the hefty price tag. It just leads me to believe that the hardware is simply not Scanspeak products, not the woofers, not the tweeters. Now it may be a collaboration of sorts with Tymphany. I don't know. It's all hearsay.
Where did you see these for $200, I've never seen them lower than like $285.

·
Registered
336 Posts
For $200 he's probably talking about replacement drivers only for the pro set, without the passives.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yes, replacement parts wholesale. It's just that the drivers themselves just don't cost a lot, at least not enough. People say the tweeter is Scanspeaker because it looks like a Scanspeak product. Well, yes, Alpine has used both Scanspeak and Vifa drivers in their setups. However, when the tweeter costs just $40 and the woofer $74, it would be hard to say they are Scanspeak products. The old D2904 tweeters were $60. The old Rev woofers I think sold at $120-$130 wholesale. The Vifa woofers Alpine used were $75 wholesale. The Vifa tweeters Alpine used were $15 wholesale. In the past, Alpine also used part numbers that matched the Scan and Vifa products, generally maintaining a partial or majority of the cone as the part name, like the Scan tweeters were actually called D2904/600001 or D2904/610001. The Rev woofers were called 18Wxxxx or whatever it was. The Vifa drivers maintained partial codes.

The current Alpine product have zero discerning codes like that, just a unique number.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.