DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a Pioneer 501ex and am tired of getting complaints that my BT sucks when talking to people. Putting the mic right to my mouth doesn't seem to help either. They say I sound garbled and broken up and that's not the first time I've heard of a Pioneer being this way. I know Kenwood is good but have heard mixed reviews about the quality of their middle of the road units. I just need six outputs to feed my Helix. Not looking to spend too much. With a Helix dsp are stronger preouts (over 2v) even something to worry these days in the form of noise floor? Just seems like the prices jump way up when output voltage goes up with very little other difference.

·
Registered
336 Posts
But is it your bluetooth? Do they sound garbled as well?it is sounding more one way which makes more sense to me that it would be the mic that's causing you issues.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know what, you're totally right. I've heard it's hit and miss for some people I've talked to with Pioneer units. The mic could easily just be crap. My buddy has a really nice Kenwood I sold him a few years back because I liked the Pioneer UI better (Kenwood had a loud fan too and previous Pioneer didn't...but my current Pioneer does too so...) but might plug his mic in and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't make a difference I'll just put his Kenwood in the dash and pay him for it since he can't use it in his new truck with the fancy headunit with EVERYTHING tied into it.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
The mic positioning could be contributing too. You can move it closer to, or further from reflective surfaces to see if you can find a spot that doesn't cause so much trouble. If putting the mic to your mouth still gives you trouble, try putting it up against the windshield to see if it's any different.

·
1,959 Posts
I used to install car phones back in the day (yeah I'm old), and I can confirm that mic placement is crucial. They are designed to be somewhat directional, and I've found the best way to aim them is with the element parallel with the headliner. I usually mounted them just to the left of the sun visor with the mic element facing back away from the windshield.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have my kenwood ddx9905s mic on the top of my steering wheel column (in front of the dash) with it pointed at my face. I haven't had any complaints about its quality and google hasn't had an issue understanding me.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
pioneer nex 5000 no issues and my wifes kenwood 9303 is good too, so lets hope its the mic, the cable on them is usually paper thin and can be cut with sharp words!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts