DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an affordable headunit ($150 range) that will allow me to HP my tweets, bandpass my midrange, and LP my sub? I was going to buy an electronic xover, but I remember my old Alpine 9815 and 7998 used to do this no problem. Are there affordable affordable "new" HUs that can do this, or should I buy a used one from Ebay?

Does the JVC KD-SH1000 accomplish this? Anything better?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I bet you're gonna hear a lot of recommendations to buy a used head unit. Unfortunately, I would say $150 is not enough... Besides active crossover capability, you want time alignment on all six channels and perhaps high voltage outputs. The cheapest Kenwood head unit with this stuff costs well over $150 and it still does not have active crossover for the front stage.

I am guessing that the cheapest way to get active crossover capability is to buy an Alpine head unit (any you like) and then combine it with Alpine's imprint processor. (Rough cost estimate is $400??)

·
Registered
510 Posts
yes the kd-sh1000 does what you are asking aboot.

it is definitely limited though, but do not let that deter you, it is great for a first time active setup. i mention this because i am running still running one from having my first active setup and personally i would like a litter more tuning out of the thing nowadays.

some of the crossover points are not exactly where you may want them which could be alright since for each XO point you can have one of three different slopes. a drawback to that i see though is that 18db is the steepest slope the thing has to offer, i wish it was 24db. i bought mine from a member here and it is still going strong with no issues. there may be a few in the classifieds since they were reportedly on sale somewhere not too long ago.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes the kd-sh1000 does what you are asking aboot.

it is definitely limited though, but do not let that deter you, it is great for a first time active setup. i mention this because i am running still running one from having my first active setup and personally i would like a litter more tuning out of the thing nowadays.

some of the crossover points are not exactly where you may want them which could be alright since for each XO point you can have one of three different slopes. a drawback to that i see though is that 18db is the steepest slope the thing has to offer, i wish it was 24db. i bought mine from a member here and it is still going strong with no issues. there may be a few in the classifieds since they were reportedly on sale somewhere not too long ago.
I actually just bought the JVC from Ebay for $129 (not bad considering I can sell my existing lowend Pioneer HU). I was contemplating buying the JBL gtx 47 and EQ, but the idea of doing it "better and simpler" made more sense and I hated the Pioneer model I was currently using. Thanks for your reply, I feel better about my purchase now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts