DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never used HELIX, however I'm taking the advice of numerous members whom have recommended the brand. Now, I need to get advice on which HELIX is right for my situation. Once I get everything installed, I'm not going to change it down the road so no need for extra inputs/outputs, etc.

Here's what I'll be installing:
Dash: 2 x wideband drivers (maybe GS25s)
F. Doors: 2 x midbass drivers (maybe Focal Flax 6.5s)
R. Doors: 2 x fill drivers (maybe Focal Flax 6.5s)
Cargo Area: 10" sealed subwoofer (maybe JL Audio box)
Amps: As recommended once I decide to either go with a stand-alone DSP or go with a DSP/AMP combo.

I'm more inclined to choose a standalone DSP, a 6-channel amp and then a monoblock amp for the sub, but several folks have recommended the all-in-one HELIX V EIGHT. The V EIGHT, however can't be bridged for mono and even if I found a sub with dual input, the power would probably still be lacking, but I may be wrong. Maybe they're thinking I'll still go with a standalone monoblock for the sub, but then why the V EIGHT which is 8 channel vice 6 channel.

QUESTION 1. So, for my '22 4Runner, with only four speaker level high outputs from the stock head unit, which stand-alone HELIX DSP would work?

QUESTION 2. If the V EIGHT is still recommended, can you help me to understand why a smaller unit with less channels wouldn't work?

Many thanks!

Dao

· Registered
2,198 Posts
They have the 6 channel P six. If you go with the V eight you could add tweeters later..

Just talk to a dealer and figure out what you actually need for your install. There might be specific features the V eight has that the P six doesnt.

· Registered
276 Posts
I just installed a Helix M Six DSP paired with a M One X. I have a pair of Blam LFR80 widebands and Phoenix Gold Elite 6.5s in the front doors (bridged). So far seems to be a nice setup. I considered the V Eight but couldn't justify the extra expense.
Wood Gadget Gas Electronic device Cable

· Registered
333 Posts
The helix 8ch DSP amp and their 6ch DSP aren’t the same, the first is 75w the other is 150w. And the 6ch, unless I’m very much mistaken, costs a lot more.

The 8ch DSP and a mono is probably the best option as it’ll allow for future upgrades, you might not think you will but if you did you’d be kicking yourself. Like I am. I have a 6ch which is all I really need but it would have been nice to do rear fill.

And the GS25s are a good option. Might not be the best in the world but for the price they’re very good. I’m running those 400hz up and, apart from some environmental issues, I’m happy with them. Will be replacing them with a 3-way set of C5s this spring but that’s only because I found a good deal after they were discontinued, and custom mounting them takes care of the environmental issues, otherwise I’d keep the GS25s.

· Registered
276 Posts
I think you are confusing the P Six and the M 6 DSPs. The M 6 DSP is relatively new. The M 6 outputs 100 watts at 4 and 2 ohms and can be bridged, unlike the V 8, and was about $400 cheaper.

Reactions: juvehab
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.