DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of these microphones sutiable for miking my car? I already have them and would like to avoid purchasing another mic just for my car audio hobby :)

Shure Beta 58A - "supercardioid dynamic vocal microphone"

http://shure.com/microphones/models/beta58a.asp

Great vocal mic but looks like the frequency response isn't ideal for RTA - plus it's better at close range.

Marshall MXL2001 "large capsule condenser"

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic/condenser_index.html

Cheap condenser - decent frequency response. (2001 is very similar to the 2006 I linked to).

RODE NT1-A "The Worlds Quietest Studio Condenser Microphone"

http://www.rode.com.au/downloads/NT1-A_InstMan.pdf

Nice frequency response and only 5 dBA of self-noise.

So ultimately - can I get satisfactory results using a condenser microphone through my preamp and soundcard? If so looks like the Rode is the way to go.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
If any the Rode... The B58A has a bump from 2.5-4K and a little HF rise that is sutable for vocal work. The MXL2001 has a tippy top boost. Never heard the rode, but they have been flat to my discression. The behringer mic is cheap though, it can be had for half the price of any mic you have listed or less.

Chad

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I figured it was at least $100+ so the price point is a pleasant surprise - may just have to go that route.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am sure you know this, but beware the sound card. My dell laptop is off by 9db at 7kHz, add that to the +2-3db of the Behringer at that point and your RTA data could be a bit skewed. Many sound cards do not have any time coherence between channels either making phase, or MLS measurements pretty impossible. On a happier note, if you need a good sound card I highly recommend Digital Audio Labs out of Plymouth, MN...incredibly flat response and excellent phase response and consistent time delay on its channels!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keeping with the budget theme of the behringer mic...

Is there a cheap/moderate priced external USB soundcard that has given good results for laptops? I am mainly concerned with the frequence response accuracy rather than time coherence.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I think M-Audio has one with a mic preamp and Phantom power, the Sound Devices one is my fave but is expensive. I have one and it would be tough to Pry out of my cold dead hands!

Chad

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On that note B&K how do you go about testing your sound cards frequency response? I am just looking to check my frequency response and am not worried about time alignment or anything else - but I do know the latency on the sound card on that note.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I use a B&K program for speaker testing called SoundCheck, regretably on your end it will cost abou $8k to buy a copy. From my experience there are no USB soundcards worth a chit; however, on the same note I haven't checked any out in the past year or so. My basic recommendation is that if you didn't pay for a pro audio sound card (usually $200+) I wouldn't use the card for measurements depending on your purpose. I am a little biased since I have access to the best, but.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts