Idq.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Search IDq and/or IDmax then

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I think both can sound very good in their ideal enclosures. I've only heard one IDMax and it was in more of an SPL setup. The IDQs I've heard have been more SQ oriented so it's not a fair comparison from what I've heard. I have to wonder if they're like JL's W6/W7 subs where everyone somehow believes the 6 is their SQ sub and the 7 is their SPL sub when in reality the W7 is the SQ sub, it just happens to get loud as well. I'm not saying that's true about the ID subs but I bet an IDMax in the right enclosure would be very close in SQ with the Q and it would get louder.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I think it comes down to whatever will blend easier with your front stage;however, the IDQ is used a lot on the forum from what i've noticed. Also, are you referring to the IDQ1,2, or 3?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you BuickGN and adrenalinejunkie for taking time to try to help me out unlike the first three geniuses

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Thank you BuickGN and adrenalinejunkie for taking time to try to help me out unlike the first three geniuses
Lol. Just keep in mind I'm sort of thinking out loud. We know the "Q" is a great Sq sub. The Max is also known as an SQ sub that gets loud. They both sound great but it's the difference in SQ that I would wonder about. It's my guess that they're extremely close but like the W7, the Max tends to be put in SPL enclosures killing the SQ.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just pick one.

I honestly do not think you will notice a difference in "sq" at all.

I have two 10' IDQ v1s and they sound just as good as my 2 12' phoenix gold RDSc's, except for the fact the rsdc's can get much louder. But at low cruising volumes I cannot notice any difference.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think both can sound very good in their ideal enclosures. I've only heard one IDMax and it was in more of an SPL setup. The IDQs I've heard have been more SQ oriented so it's not a fair comparison from what I've heard. I have to wonder if they're like JL's W6/W7 subs where everyone somehow believes the 6 is their SQ sub and the 7 is their SPL sub when in reality the W7 is the SQ sub, it just happens to get loud as well. I'm not saying that's true about the ID subs but I bet an IDMax in the right enclosure would be very close in SQ with the Q and it would get louder.
I'm not trying to argue with you but I'd like to clarify..
all of jls woofers are low distortion designs..
at lower volume levels the w6 is a lower distortion driver, but when you want the added output the w7 is more linear at higher displaceent levels..
they are all built around low distortion..

·
Registered
620 Posts
guys blending is the volume level between the drivers, and phase placement below 300 hz is alot harder to distinguish..
with that being said any low distortion driver will have great blending..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
guys blending is the volume level between the drivers, and phase placement below 300 hz is alot harder to distinguish..
with that being said any low distortion driver will have great blending..

ah i see. thanks :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
What are you wanting to use, a single 10", 12"? How much power do you have available? What kinds of music do you prefer to listen to?

Basically, the Max will be louder in the lower sub frequencies due to higher Xmax.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I'm not trying to argue with you but I'd like to clarify..
all of jls woofers are low distortion designs..
at lower volume levels the w6 is a lower distortion driver, but when you want the added output the w7 is more linear at higher displaceent levels..
they are all built around low distortion..
Where have you seen info showing the W6 to be lower distortion at lower levels than the W7? I was told by a JL employee the W7 is better in every way than the W6, at high volumes, low volumes, SQ, SPL, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts