DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a two way setup in my 2013 Honda Accord which currently consists of Morel Hybrid Ovation 6.5's in the doors and KAXBLTWT's in the factory sail panels. I have been wanting to try something different and see if I can get an improvement in my 6.5's.

Processor is Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Current subs are a pair of Alpine SWR823
Getting a pair of AE SBP12's in the next week or so to replace Alpine's.

Options I am strongly considering:

SI TM65's
JBL 660GTI
Pioneer TS-C172PRS
Satori MW16P4
Anything else that will make for a killer 2 way 6.5" system and can be purchased for about $350 or less for the pair, new or used.

SI's currently have my interest the most since they can be purchased for the best price and I am also pretty positive they will fill in the lower frequency range the best by far of the choices. I am not so positive of the 1000-2000hz range compared to the others. I believe my KAXBLTWT's should be good to 2000hz which should help a bit if I am correct.

One big consideration for me is how well they will hold up in the door environment dealing with the humidity and possible moisture. The Satori's have me concerned here.

What do you think? I am looking for what will hopefully be my last set of 6.5's for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the Morels a lot. I would like to get more midbass from them. I had made some adjustments to the EQ that bumped up the 80--160 range a few DB and they sounded great at low to moderate volume. They protested if I tried to turn it up louder though. I couldn't tell where the sub was, it blended perfectly.

Added details about processing and subs to first post.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I like the Morels a lot. I would like to get more midbass from them. I had made some adjustments to the EQ that bumped up the 80--160 range a few DB and they sounded great at low to moderate volume. They protested if I tried to turn it up louder though. I couldn't tell where the sub was, it blended perfectly.

Added details about processing and subs to first post.

Try minus 3 or up to minus 4 on the 160 Hz band, that is my 2nd EQ band and my third is 250 Hz, they play loud and clear reducing the 160Hz band that much, the rest of my nine bands are flat except for 3, 5,8 and 9 are a bit higher than flat on my Alpine HU.

Once you find the right EQ for those Morels, it makes a huge difference in loudness and clarity.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try minus 3 or up to minus 4 on the 160 Hz band, that is my 2nd EQ band and my third is 250 Hz, they play loud and clear reducing the 160Hz band that much, the rest of my nine bands are flat except for 3, 5,8 and 9 are a bit higher than flat on my Alpine HU.

Once you find the right EQ for those Morels, it makes a huge difference in loudness and clarity.
I have already made cuts and can get them to play cleanly and loud, I just feel something is missing by doing that. Hoping a different midwoofer will allow for a tiny bit more output in this range so I can cut as needed rather than not have enough.

If you are thinking about the TM65, you better act fast. They are currently $99.00 each.
I know, I need to move fast.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
TM65 probably your best bet. The other car audio drivers you'd probably have a hard time finding just the mids for sale, especially the JBL. I'd have to model the Satori to see how they look.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
For that price, I don't think you can go wrong on the TM65. Just from reading the reviews I know i'll be satisfied. I really like the fact that they can be wired to receive 8 ohms from one of my JL HD600/4 (Overkill, but i'll be very gentle with the amp gain) I have the KAXBLTWT also, and this will make a killer 2-way. I just have to figured what i'll use for a center.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I will have this setup running in my pickup shortly KAXBLTWT, TM65 on a Mosconi 120.4DSP. It should be pretty righteous as right now those tweets sound amazing with my Hertz ML1600.

·
Vendor
21,091 Posts
i would think the satori would be the best considering its a two way system. but if you can cross the tweeter low, like 2k or under, the tm65 can work

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I'd tweak a bit more with the 360.3 before I started to swap speakers.

Cut the 80 & 160-250

Cut starting at 1.25khz in increasing increments till you hit 4khz. cut a bit less at 5khz than 4. Then cut a lot at 6-8khz. This should give you gobs of clear, snappy and lound midbass;-).

Treat the 500-800 khz last to balance things out (overall you'll need to cut a bit here).

Try it see what happens.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I was not happy with the TM65 in my 2 way, even with tweeters that were good down to 1500hz but that's me. Now If you paired them with something like the illusion C4CX that I'm selling in the classifieds (shameless plug) you would have something special.

The Satori's are amazing in the midrange with good midbass in doors down to 80hz, but if you are really shooting for very strong midbass they should be sealed. I'm putting another set of Satori's in my other car next week and using those foam speaker protectors with them. Some places still have them on sale.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I'd say explore more tuning, slopes, EQ. Those morels work smooth at 24 Db slope, high passed at 75-80hz, and try the EQ suggestions already posted.

The sub can also be low passed between 80 and up to 120hz for extra midbass, It may affect the stage in a better way or worse, and bass may be located in the back, but as long as not competing in MECA IASCA, it may be worth a shot, even if overlapping when crossing, and will give that extra punch at front.

The TM65's can also work in a 2 way, but they may be harder to tune, than the Morels.

Those ilussions are very good, point source drivers, if there is room to mount a 4", don't these include a nice tweeter also? Reflecting the price tag.

And maybe these 3" can be an OK cheap option if no room for those great 4" ilusions on the pillars/dash.
Dayton Audio RS75-4 3" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that the JBL is still the driver to beat when it comes to pure unadulterated fun in a 2-way.

it doesn't have the throw that the SI TM65 has, but I haven't read where it struggles with the upper midrange/lower treble and that has been noted by multiple reports here.

And if I "wanted a little more" so I can "cut where needed, instead of boosting" or generally just needing that higher output all the way up to a 2.5Khz crossover, then I would have to always defer to the JBL, either in 660, or earlier Gti offerings in the 6.5" frame size.

I think a lot of people will be eventually letting go of their TM65's that they've lusted over and once installed, were underwhelmed unless they were using them as mid bass with a nice, niche midrange inserted into the speaker column.

but that's just an opinion, and everyone has them.

It's going to be harder and harder to find a pair of 6.5" JBL of the 600Gti or 660 series, with these kind of posts.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that the JBL is still the driver to beat when it comes to pure unadulterated fun in a 2-way.

it doesn't have the throw that the SI TM65 has, but I haven't read where it struggles with the upper midrange/lower treble and that has been noted by multiple reports here.

And if I "wanted a little more" so I can "cut where needed, instead of boosting" or generally just needing that higher output all the way up to a 2.5Khz crossover, then I would have to always defer to the JBL, either in 660, or earlier Gti offerings in the 6.5" frame size.

I think a lot of people will be eventually letting go of their TM65's that they've lusted over and once installed, were underwhelmed unless they were using them as mid bass with a nice, niche midrange inserted into the speaker column.

but that's just an opinion, and everyone has them.

It's going to be harder and harder to find a pair of 6.5" JBL of the 600Gti or 660 series, with these kind of posts.
I got very lucky recently and scored a set of the 660 gti mids brand new for a great price. Had been looking for a few years. They are really awesome drivers. If one can find them do not hesitate...

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got very lucky recently and scored a set of the 660 gti mids brand new for a great price. Had been looking for a few years. They are really awesome drivers. If one can find them do not hesitate...
Dang!! Your the guy that beat me too them!! If I didn't have trouble logging in from my phone they would have been mine! In all seriousness, enjoy them and let me know if you decide to sell them.

TM65 probably your best bet. The other car audio drivers you'd probably have a hard time finding just the mids for sale, especially the JBL. I'd have to model the Satori to see how they look.
Would you still pick the TM65's if you take the hard to find factor out of the equation, availability being equal? I know might have to wait a while to find some of the others, but my Morel's ain't that bad that I can't wait.

I get the same impression of the 660GTI even though I have not heard them, which is why they made the list. I think of my options this is my first choice, however they are very hard to find so it could take me a while.

However I did buy a pair of the TM65's today. Did it because of price and availability and the very tiny possibility if I did do a three way these are at the top of the midbass list for me. They will go in the closest until I get the new subs in and spend much more time tweaking. After that I will decide if give them a go or search for one of the others.

·
Registered
815 Posts
There is a 670gti that is coming to market.

The mid is the same as far as I know, they cut cost by simplifying the crossovers. You should be able to source the mids direct from Harmon. At least you used to be able.to.

As for the recent score. Yep eBay and I was the only bidder. Got the pair for $300. I have no plans to ever sell. I do have a set of 500 gti's that I could sell though...

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a 670gti that is coming to market.

The mid is the same as far as I know, they cut cost by simplifying the crossovers. You should be able to source the mids direct from Harmon. At least you used to be able.to.
Good to know, thanks!! Set is listed as currently available on JBL's site. I'll give them a call and see if I can get just the mids.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
JBL has the 670GTi on their site, 999.99 pricing, as well as a listing for the 660GTi, at ~1500 or so.

I would be willing to bet that they won't plop the replacement drivers available from where they were being sold last time, back on the for sale counter although I could be wrong about that.

I bet there's people out there, with the JBL Parts and Pac Parts, and Speaker Exchange set up for subscription where if a driver is posted as available they immediately release the funds on them and scoop them up...

like what happened to the MS-8Z refurbs that came back briefly after that first harrowing buy-out of their stock.

Harman has had a couple of awesome deals slip through the cracks and make it to regular Joes, like just recently the GTO 15" subs, and the GTi new old stock, heck the super blowout on their MS series of amps, too.

I guess they have a standing history of surprising us with an impatient bookkeeping department who have to literally blow out the stocks with great deals, every once in a while...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.