DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know everyone has their favorite brands. So if you have some other budget brands in mind, which you feel like are a better value, I'm open. Really trying to stay below $400. And I'm looking for 2000-3000 wts RMS, to power two mid level 18" subs.
Here are a few I've been looking at
A little out of my price range but....

I've seen all of these bench tested to show a little higher than rated power...

One of these ? Or different suggestions plz...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on 🙂 TY

Kind of surprised you picked the NVX over the Skar. But hey, I have really liked my NVX 10" subs....

Now, about that Wolfram amp.....
Ha ! My name is Wolfgram ! 😀 But yea, I have actually heard some good things about them lately too.

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
Right on TY

Kind of surprised you picked the NVX over the Skar. But hey, I have really liked my NVX 10" subs....

Now, about that Wolfram amp.....
Ha ! My name is Wolfgram ! But yea, I have actually heard some good things about them lately too.
I hate skar. Like you wouldnt believe. That's pretty much the reason. Ill always vote against skar

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Saw this crazy little amp on the steve meade youtube channel. Soundigital 3000.1D Nano

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
Saw this crazy little amp on the steve meade youtube channel. Soundigital 3000.1D Nano

Garbage. Just my opinion. I dont trust any of those amps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate skar. Like you wouldnt believe. That's pretty much the reason. Ill always vote against skar

Fair enough.... But let me guess... You don't like the people that run the company, or how they run it ? I just say that, because I've heard other people say this...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Garbage. Just my opinion. I dont trust any of those amps.

I need an amp that is 1 ohm rated anyway... Or else I would have gotten subs that made a 2 ohm load. My two 4 ohm DVC subs will make 1 ohm... Or 8 ohm which is obviously useless.

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
Fair enough.... But let me guess... You don't like the people that run the company, or how they run it ? I just say that, because I've heard other people say this...
That plays into it as well. But every skar amp I've had has had an issue.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3000 watts in an 18" sub? What front stage do you have to keep up with that?
Well, it would be 1500 watts to each of two 18" subs, mounted face to face, in an isobaric, clamshell configuration. (which is definitely not the loudest way to run subwoofers)
I'm running four sets of Polk audio mids + high components, and four 8" mid bass drivers. On 4 x 150 wts RMS.
But let me put it this way, if I'm just using my stereo for a long road trip, and especially if I have my GF with me, I would likely just back off on the bass for a better balance, and more musicality.
On the other hand, if I were parked somewhere, and doing a bass demo, I would not be so concerned about keeping everything completely balanced anyway.

As long as your subs are clean, and not totally peaky, I don't think you can really have too much. That's what a bass control knob is for 🙂

BTW, I did run my two 15"s in a standard tuned ported enclosure, and the rest of my system kept up with those quite well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
R
That plays into it as well. But every skar amp I've had has had an issue.

Really ??? Okay. Interesting.

Kind of leaning towards the NVX for it's 2700 watts... And seeing lots of good things about that Wolfram amp mentioned.... Of course now the price is going up... It was $200 a year ago. $300 now.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
out there is soooooo much decent amps beside above mentioned - Zapco, Alphard deaf bounce, RF, DD, B2,.....

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like budget gear more than anyone. For me? I like gear that has the ability and the community behind it to take a good stock platform and improve it. That's the part I like about Budget gear.

When it came to by my DD-1, I went with it not due to me needing it. I knew that years from now? Steve would still be there to support my product. That's important to me.

I tend to like USA Made gear. Yes, I know it can be much more cost wise. But like Snap On tools, you know you are getting something made right here in the USA made with Pride and putting food in the mouths of USA workers.

And there is that sense of pride you get every time you get in your ride and know you got a Great solid built tank like Amp that is going to make you smile for years to come. If something needs to be fixed or upgraded? There will be a person who loves the amp more then you, and there will be support for it.

MTX was one of those companies for me. The Customer service call was enough to sell me on recommending their gear to anyone.

Even MMATS has a budget line now. So anyone can get a solid amp today with support if you run into any issues.

On the role of Budget gear, it sure is nice to throw it in and not worry about Tyrone, or Steave the Tweeker, or Mondo the Bondo Brando ripping off your priceless gear in your daily driver. I had more then enough eyes on my Volvo, and decided not to put anything expensive in it or fear of having my car damaged to get the gear out. When you can get a whole turn key system in your car for less then a grand that sounds amazing with budget gear? Its a no brainer.

And it really gets people in the Hobby. That's always a good thing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
out there is soooooo much decent amps beside above mentioned - Zapco, Alphard deaf bounce, RF, DD, B2,.....
All those brands you mentioned, are anywhere from a little more expensive (per watt) to a LOT more expensive. I'm sure some of those are great amps, but I'm looking for "great value".

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like budget gear more than anyone. For me? I like gear that has the ability and the community behind it to take a good stock platform and improve it. That's the part I like about Budget gear.

When it came to by my DD-1, I went with it not due to me needing it. I knew that years from now? Steve would still be there to support my product. That's important to me.

I tend to like USA Made gear. Yes, I know it can be much more cost wise. But like Snap On tools, you know you are getting something made right here in the USA made with Pride and putting food in the mouths of USA workers.

And there is that sense of pride you get every time you get in your ride and know you got a Great solid built tank like Amp that is going to make you smile for years to come. If something needs to be fixed or upgraded? There will be a person who loves the amp more then you, and there will be support for it.

MTX was one of those companies for me. The Customer service call was enough to sell me on recommending their gear to anyone.

Even MMATS has a budget line now. So anyone can get a solid amp today with support if you run into any issues.

On the role of Budget gear, it sure is nice to throw it in and not worry about Tyrone, or Steave the Tweeker, or Mondo the Bondo Brando ripping off your priceless gear in your daily driver. I had more then enough eyes on my Volvo, and decided not to put anything expensive in it or fear of having my car damaged to get the gear out. When you can get a whole turn key system in your car for less then a grand that sounds amazing with budget gear? Its a no brainer.

And it really gets people in the Hobby. That's always a good thing.
I agree with a LOT of your post... But just as an example, the Digital Design DM2500a 2500 wt RMS amp, is $600 ! I'd love to have it, but just cant afford it. Im looking for something in the "less than" $400 range. Wish I had gotten one of those 2400 wt Wolfram's a year ago for $200 ! ...but will probably end up paying $300 for one now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts