DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a Zed made US Acoustics USA2300 in highschool, like this one here:

I was quite fond of this amp even though I didn't know who made it or who Zed was at the time. I'm toying with the idea of investing money and searching out the older USA model Us Acoustic amplifiers. Do you think these amps are worth seeking out and purchasing?

I know there are people around here that go nuts over particular old school lines such as the PPI Arts and some of the older Orion lines. What other old school amp lines do you think are worth collecting, refurbishing, and holding on to?

Also if you have a nice collection of any particular line of old school amplifiers post photos.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Many USA made amps before about '94 are collected. Friend of mine has a pyle amp made in USA by Zed iirc. Check out the old school thread or look on epay to see what ones are priced the highest. A few years ago the market was pretty heavy for them but it has slowed down like everything else.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many USA made amps before about '94 are collected. Friend of mine has a pyle amp made in USA by Zed iirc. Check out the old school thread or look on epay to see what ones are priced the highest. A few years ago the market was pretty heavy for them but it has slowed down like everything else.
Well I really just want to collect the US Acoustics amps for personal and nostalgic reasons. But if they aren't super reliable and aren't known for their SQ, why bother?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Don't go down that way. I almost had most of the ppi 1996 line up at one time. Then I reliased 3/4 of it was collecting dust. I just sold most of it off except for the hard to find stuff like a dac 348, pmq 210, 1" spacer, and my overseas limited runs arts.

I have a sounds works demo a600.2 that I need to off load soon.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't go down that way. I almost had most of the ppi 1996 line up at one time. Then I reliased 3/4 of it was collecting dust. I just sold most of it off except for the hard to find stuff like a dac 348, pmq 210, 1" spacer, and my overseas limited runs arts.

I have a sounds works demo a600.2 that I need to off load soon.
So regret building your collection?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Like most all collectibles if it was expensive back then it is sought after and expensive now plus condition means everything. The very earliest of the most popular lines exp. PPI pre M series, Rockford Fosgate pre Punch series and the very earliest Linear Power amps pre 85' these amps in mint condition will be (are) the holy grail of collectible amps. I don't really see amps like PPI M AM ART although sought after will ever be woth more than they were new just to many of them made.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Here are some notable companies:
- Linear Power
- Zapco ( The OG Bob Zeff units )
- ESX
- Micro Dimension
- Furi
- Blade
- Sound Stream ( The originals )
- Genesis

·
Registered
30 Posts
None of them because your money would be better utilized by collecting something that actually appreciates in value.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't know about being collectable, but the ones I like to collect are:

Alpine 3523/3525/3539 series of amps from 1988.
Alpine 3545 is collectable. Pretty much anyone knows what they are....except one of the two that I bought for a whopping $110! I think the guy sorta knew what it was but didn't appreciate it.

RF Power series from the late '80s I would say are collectible. They rarely ever go for cheap.

·
Registered
641 Posts
None of them because your money would be better utilized by collecting something that actually appreciates in value.
That is a debatable point, but I don't think people are viewing this like '60s muscle cars. You collect these amps because you like the way they sound, period.

As for brands, a strong vote for the Phoenix Gold MS series amps. Great balance of power & SQ.

Not sure what the original MSRP on an MS1000 was, but I have spent about $1000 for one BNIB a few years back, and $700 for another one that was used.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I should chastise Fricasseekid for being in Louisiana and not supporting the one remaining Louisiana amplifier manufacturer, Lunar Amplifiers!

I also have an old school Orion collection, but I would sell it tomorrow if the right buyer would come along!

EDIT: Nostalgia is so overrated when it comes to electronics!

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Well I really just want to collect the US Acoustics amps for personal and nostalgic reasons. But if they aren't super reliable and aren't known for their SQ, why bother?
I don't know about them, I did have a tech tell me he hated them far as old school and the guy really knows his stuff...but just his opinion as a tech. I would say collect the stuff you like and would use, then you have it to use when needed. I keep some old amps for how they work, I don't really care who made them. Most are alpines and not valuable like a linear power for sure. I sold my LPs long ago when I found something cheaper that worked as well for my use. One of the little alpines I like, once bought another for $5 for a spare. I would never buy old amps to collect them but people do, I would buy ones I wanted for a particular reason but only because I might use them not because of the name. In general the better ones are the ones you want to use, but I was never stuck on a name. Linear power or RF, they both made some great amps for example. In fact a guy just gave me some RF and an Orion I need to look at.

In the end its all what you want. Some people like to run old amps, like X brand, doing a period install...so do it. I run what works, but would get period amps for a muscle car install that was not stealth. If I had an amp here worth a lot of cash, I'd have to have a good reason to keep it. I don't know if I have an amp that is worth much over 100, I have a few like that the rest are worth much less I'd guess. I've seen perfect ones that sold for over 300, but mine are not perfect they are for use in a car lol.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
To many to list,
Phoenix Gold,
Sound stream,
Lanzar,
PPI,
Clarion ,
.......just to name a select few.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts