DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought. In the planning stage I had to make the choice between a straight forward install with a 6.5" midbass in the door or do some fab work and ruin the stock appearance with an 8". I wanted an 8" badly but I started with the MW162 and upgraded to the E650 with more excursion both linear and mechanical.

I was looking at the Dyn MW172 8" vs my E650 midbass yesterday since the 172 is what I would have used if I went with an 8". They have the same xmax but the 650 has enough additional excursion before xmech that it will displace more air than the 172.

So right now I'm pretty happy, the only advantage I could think of with the 172 vs the 650 would be the lower Fs of 42hz vs 49hz for the 650 and less excursion for a given SPL. The 650 has much better resolution and midrange, better dispersion at higher frequencies (I lowpass it at 1khz), great bass from 50hz and up, and much easier installation. Am I right, are there any advantages to the 8" that I'm missing? Besides the price difference, is there a reason to get the 172 instead of the 650?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Also, think of the 182. The basket is more install friendly! You may have more "pop" but with that comes rattles! Doors are the devil!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I have some 172's if you want to try them before buying brand new ones

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, think of the 182. The basket is more install friendly! You may have more "pop" but with that comes rattles! Doors are the devil!
That's the truth. You should hear my doors close. They have a nice solid thunk like a well made German car, not like a TL. There's a ton of weight in there and I still get some rattles but I'm making progress.
I have some 172's if you want to try them before buying brand new ones
That's awful nice, thanks. I'm just debating if the 172 would be worth trying considering the 650s displace more air. I swear no matter how happy I am with my setup I can't stop trying new stuff. Are you going to be in HB this weekend?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
That's awful nice, thanks. I'm just debating if the 172 would be worth trying considering the 650s displace more air. I swear no matter how happy I am with my setup I can't stop trying new stuff. Are you going to be in HB this weekend?
It will be pretty much impossible to test the 172's because of the size of the basket. Lots of metal will need to be cut. I was able to fit 182's where 172's won't fit. Just not sure what you are really going to gain by changing midbass. A driver that at most, with your setup, is playing from 63-1k, especially since you would have to redo your door. Now, if you are willing to bury them in the floor (i.e. cut the floor and weld an enclosure under the car) or in the engine bay or something like that, then go for it. You you have MUCH better impact with no rattles at all.

I just found my driver side door has developed a rattle. No bid deal...right? Wrong! It is the aluminum trim toward the top of the door rattling against the plastic behind it. What to do now? I really don't want to lose the trim for aesthetic purposes, but you can't remove it without destroying it and even if somehow you were able, if you put deadner on the backside, it won't fit anymore. UGH!!! I HATE DOORS!!!!! Why the hell did they ever start putting speakers into a rattle trap in the 1st place!!!

BIGRED, you want to come to my house and bring your welder....lol! Want to go floor so I can say f*ck the door!

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will be pretty much impossible to test the 172's because of the size of the basket. Lots of metal will need to be cut. I was able to fit 182's where 172's won't fit. Just not sure what you are really going to gain by changing midbass. A driver that at most, with your setup, is playing from 63-1k, especially since you would have to redo your door. Now, if you are willing to bury them in the floor (i.e. cut the floor and weld an enclosure under the car) or in the engine bay or something like that, then go for it. You you have MUCH better impact with no rattles at all.

I just found my driver side door has developed a rattle. No bid deal...right? Wrong! It is the aluminum trim toward the top of the door rattling against the plastic behind it. What to do now? I really don't want to lose the trim for aesthetic purposes, but you can't remove it without destroying it and even if somehow you were able, if you put deadner on the backside, it won't fit anymore. UGH!!! I HATE DOORS!!!!! Why the hell did they ever start putting speakers into a rattle trap in the 1st place!!!

BIGRED, you want to come to my house and bring your welder....lol! Want to go floor so I can say f*ck the door!
I'm completely happy with the 650s. I just found it interesting the 650 has more displacement than the 172 so in my case I just can't see the reason to ever go with the 172.

In the beginning I was thinking the 650 would be a small upgrade over the 162 in my 3-way and I only got them because were a good deal. Now, after spending some time with them, I have to say it's a significant improvement over the 162 and I was pretty impressed with those.

I guess the main question is, would there ever be a reason to run the 172 instead of the 650? I guess it's more of a hypothetical question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts