DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentlemen, just bought a new car and looking to buy a processor so I can install the following:

RAINBOW CS 265 PROFI VANADIUMs
ARC AUDIO FD4150
Hifonics zx 6400 amp
IDQ12 D2 sub

As you can see from the photo the main reason why I need a processor is so I can keep the OEM look of the factory headunit.

I have had trouble finding information on processor reviews/recommendations so I come to you for some help. I have been able to find two processors though:

Alpine pxa-h800 ($700)

jbl ms-8 ($535)

My questions:

1) Do all processors cause "white noise" when the stereo is off or are some better at concealing the noise than others?

2) I opted out of the JBL system for my car knowing very well that I would be installing my own system in it. Do all processors need to be hooked up to the car's stock amplifier or can it be hooked up directly to the factory head unit. Since I have the stock stereo system and not the upgraded one I am not sure if I have a stock amp.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Depends how much of the actual tuning you want to do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Hulk311, have you any prior experience with Active Processing in the past? The reason for asking is certain processors are a bit more advanced than others.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
MS-8 can tune itself. You tune bit one/ten however you like. I think this is the main difference. The Alpine H800 hasn't been out long enough to have a lot of reviews, but from marketing descriptions, it seems to do the same as MS-8 (self-tune, surround sound, etc). I am interested in finding which one is better too.

PS: added a correction..

·
Banned
388 Posts
Aparently, the H800 is a fair upgrade from the H701 but ONLY IF you have an Alpine HU. The price point doesn't seem to make it a budget processor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My budget is to spend as little as possible, what I want is a good budget processor. I am not looking to spend over $500. The one I linked (PXE-H660) is only $260 at the woofer however I am not sure if it's a good processor or not.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
My budget is to spend as little as possible, what I want is a good budget processor. I am not looking to spend over $500. The one I linked (PXE-H660) is only $260 at the woofer however I am not sure if it's a good processor or not.
Do you need time alignment? Does it need to be a digital processor?

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you want a DSP with TA, 31 band EQ, variety of XO types.... i would look at the Helix P-DSP and the Mosconi 6to8. I used to have an MS-8 and have now bought a P-DSP. Havent installed it yet though but the software is very user friendly.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Alpine pxe on a budget if it can supply you with the needed outputs. JBL ms-8 if not. Other than that, you're going to have to spend plenty of time reading to learn how to tune to their capabilities, and plenty of money in measurement gear and software to be able to tune. I know there are a lot of golden ear'd tuners out there but I'm suggesting for the mere mortals. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All right gentlemen, so I have narrowed my choices down to two processors:

MS-8 JBL DIGITAL SOUND 7.1 CH SURROUND PROCESSOR MS8
Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.3

They both cost about the same at eBay.

What are the main differences, pros/cons of each? And which one will work better with my setup (please see first post). Main goal is to just have a good sounding system, I don't plan on competing and once I set up the processor I don't plan on changing it, the speakers or sub.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the PXE-H660 installed in my car and it sounded pretty good but didnt really have much adjustability other than the auto tune. Im running the Audison Bit Ten now and i love it. both are good units, it all depends on what you want to accomplish as well as your skill level. Ive heard great things about the JBL unit also...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts