DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not an installation and configuration wizard, so I don't think that I have the ability to configure my front stage to provide the ambiance sound that's normally produced by rear fill.

I am curious about the best way of implementing rear fill in my car. My rear speakers are in rear deck, angled a little into the cabin. I am looking at two possibilities:

MiniDSP route: band passed, time delayed, and attenuated rear fill with additional processing to produce L-R difference signal.

JBL MS-8 logic 7: whatever Logic 7 does..

Has anyone tried both and compared?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I haven't tried both, yet. But, I have an ms8 that is going to be going into the wife's car running Logic 7 and a 2x8 Minidsp that is going to be going into my car.

So, give me a few months and I might be able to provide some feedback. (Freakin' cold weather has kind of put things on hold, as there is fiberglass work to be done on both cars, and when it barely gets about 40 degrees, well, you know....)

-Ben

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If you go with the MS8, a good pair of Co-axils would work very well - even powered off the MS8!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't tried both, yet. But, I have an ms8 that is going to be going into the wife's car running Logic 7 and a 2x8 Minidsp that is going to be going into my car.

So, give me a few months and I might be able to provide some feedback. (Freakin' cold weather has kind of put things on hold, as there is fiberglass work to be done on both cars, and when it barely gets about 40 degrees, well, you know....)

-Ben
This sounds good. I am not rushing with my rear fill yet.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I searched for rear fill threads and found this. I may have decided to save my money on another matching 2 channel amp and an active xover and rock some rear fill with passive comps up front. I've been fading back and forth trying to decide what I like the best, and dang if I think the ambience or rear fill sounds the most pleasing to my ears (although currently not bandpassed and still stereo, but maybe not forever...).

I did think of a cheap solution while reading this though. Grab any old 2 channel amp and a pair or 8 ohm speakers, bridge the amp to a single 4 ohm channel, run the speakers in parallel, and there you have mono on left and right. Something to chew on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts