DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 gmc Sierra two door single cab, Manual locks and windows. This Texas heat is killer so I want to add a remote start so it's not like a sauna when I get in after work! I was looking at the viper 3305 I know it's a older unit but can get one 80$ new in the box.

Next question is how hard of a install is the remote start part? Splicing a couple of wires going to the ignition and solder them up or am I missing something?

Thanks for any input/help!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Should be fairly straight forward. The truck should not be equipped with an immobilizer circuit.
I'm not a DEI expert, but I thought the 3305 was security only....I'm probably wrong.

Constant, ACC, Ignition, and Starter are all in the ignition harness
Parking Lights are at the headlight switch
Brake lights at the pedal
Tach is at the ignition coil which is the most troublesome part of this install. Most people are lazy and don't bother connecting the tach. They usual use virtual tach/tachless instead.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah your right the 3305 doesn't have remote start guess I had it mixed up with another. Anyone have a suggestion? Looking to stay under 100$ for remote start/ keyless entry.

·
5,225 Posts
I have the a Avital 4103xl on 2 cars and it works as it should. I believe they are made by dei and dei makes a version as well that's pretty much the same thing. I paid about $40 for it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It takes longer, but I like to install units in the following way.

1. Locate and test factory wires in vehicle for function using a DMM
2. Plug in all necessary connectors on R.S. module and temporarily mount it in what will be it's final location
3. Route R.S. wiring to the the factory wires that they will be tied to and cut them to length
4. Remove the R.S. module and prep wiring (I like to use loom or cloth tape to cover all wiring) Group up wires based on where they will be routed in the vehicle.
5. Mount module in place
6. Route wires to their locations
7. Solder all wire connections and cover with tape or heat shrink

Typical R.S. prep before install
CA-6153 Prepped 3.jpg

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also like to remove excess wiring from remote start harness. No need to have a bundle of unused wiring stashed away somewhere.
I carefully remove the pins from the connectors, so I can re-insert any wires later if necessary. All unused wires and connectors are put into a bag and placed into the glove box.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I carefully remove the pins from the connectors, so I can re-insert any wires later if necessary. All unused wires and connectors are put into a bag and placed into the glove box.
Sounds like you do good work.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Just wanted to say thanks to audiokid1 for helping me get my remote start hooked up thanks a lot man!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Based on the 991 Installation Instructions I found. These are the wires your truck will use.

12 Pin Primary Harness:
Red - Connect to a 12V constant source
Brown - Siren Output
Black - Chassis Ground
Green - Door Trigger Input (Connect to Violet wire at vehicle light switch harness)
White - Parking Lights (Connect to the parking light wire your Avital is currently connected to) Set the parking light jumper to (+)

18 Pin Harness:
Black/White - Connect to Chassis Ground
Violet/White - Connect to vehicles tach wire
Brown - Connect to vehicles brake wire

10 Pin Remote Start Harness:
Pink - Ignition Output
Orange - Accessory Output
Violet - Starter Output (Cut the starter wire in half and connect this wire to the half that goes down the steering column)
Green - Starter Input (Connect this wire to the half of the starter wire that is connected to the ignition cylinder)
Red - Connect this wire to a 12V constant source
Pink/White - Ignition 2 Output
Red/Black - Connect this wire to a 12V constant source

3 Pin Door Lock Harness:
Connect these to your already existing relays. This connector may be identical to the Avital, so you may be able to plug the Avital door lock harness directly into the Python.

The system is programmed to Manual transmission by default. Enter the programming menu and change the setting to Automatic

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't see the 5 pin remote start input harness. Those 3 wires are on the 12 pin connector.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey audiokid1 think you can make me another wiring diagram for the avital 4400 and a 98 Silverado.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Based on the 991 Installation Instructions I found. These are the wires your truck will use.

12 Pin Primary Harness:
Red - Connect to a 12V constant source
Brown - Siren Output
Black - Chassis Ground
Green - Door Trigger Input (Connect to Violet wire at vehicle light switch harness)
White - Parking Lights (Connect to the parking light wire your Avital is currently connected to) Set the parking light jumper to (+)

18 Pin Harness:
Black/White - Connect to Chassis Ground
Violet/White - Connect to vehicles tach wire
Brown - Connect to vehicles brake wire

10 Pin Remote Start Harness:
Pink - Ignition Output
Orange - Accessory Output
Violet - Starter Output (Cut the starter wire in half and connect this wire to the half that goes down the steering column)
Green - Starter Input (Connect this wire to the half of the starter wire that is connected to the ignition cylinder)
Red - Connect this wire to a 12V constant source
Pink/White - Ignition 2 Output
Red/Black - Connect this wire to a 12V constant source

3 Pin Door Lock Harness:
Connect these to your already existing relays. This connector may be identical to the Avital, so you may be able to plug the Avital door lock harness directly into the Python.

The system is programmed to Manual transmission by default. Enter the programming menu and change the setting to Automatic
So wiring is gonna stay like this from the python and avital?

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Sub'd
I have a diesel truck with a manual transmission.

Remote start would be OK as I can get into the habit of leaving it out of gear, but not overly needing remote start... so mostly looking for the alarm function.

There are no electronics on the engine other than the fuel flow is controlled by the ignition switch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wire colors on the module and relay pack for remote start (hate how DEI doesn't just build the relays into the module....) may differ slightly, but their input/output functions are the same as the other system you used.
Match functions to proper wire color and you're set.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts