DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all i have a problem. my focal krx2's are just tooo bright! and i need your help and advice as to what i should do. I run the focals front stage and power them with Alpine pdx-f4 amplifiers(400 watts) and i run focal 165 cvx coaxials at the back, so in total i have 100watts to all 4 channels each , or maybe a little more since i know alpine birth certs are always a little higher than what they write. I have a nice morel ultimo sub at the back and a decent Pioneer AVH-4300 dvd head unit. But my unit setup is JUST tooo bright. please help and advice me on what to do. Should the Focals GO or should the AMP GO!!! or both??? :confused: :worried:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Well there are multiple ways to take the situation. Perhaps improving on what your system comprises of is a viable option. Have you considered adding a processor to the mix?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there are multiple ways to take the situation. Perhaps improving on what your system comprises of is a viable option. Have you considered adding a processor to the mix?
Thanks for the advice ,but i am thinking Why would i want to run a processor when something is fundamentally wrong. Need to rectify this simple configuration before i complicate things by adding a processor and increasing the number of variables

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Changing the amp won't make things any different.
Either play with your tweeter's orientation,in relation to your seating position or L-pad it.
IDK what Krx2s sound like , personally, but I have read that they tend to be on the bright side.
Another solution is to go for drivers that are known to be mellow, for example, morels.

Definitely not your amp

EDIT> your x-overs should have a setting to knock down the tweeter by -3db or more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changing the amp won't make things any different.
Either play with your tweeter's orientation,in relation to your seating position or L-pad it.
IDK what Krx2s sound like , personally, but I have read that they tend to be on the bright side.
Another solution is to go for drivers that are known to be mellow, for example, morels.

Definitely not your amp

EDIT> your x-overs should have a setting to knock down the tweeter by -3db or more.
I have knocked them down to -6dB already!, but you do have a point maybe i am just more of a mellow sort of guy and crave mellow. I will look into Morels

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
The processor would be a way to fix that issue. Have you tried the obvious, like turning down the tweeter level on the crossover? Tried reversing the polarity on the mids or tweeters? Where are they mounted/firing? Maybe it's an installation issue. Just saying "my tweeters are too bright" doesn't tell us anything we can use to help you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The processor would be a way to fix that issue. Have you tried the obvious, like turning down the tweeter level on the crossover? Tried reversing the polarity on the mids or tweeters? Where are they mounted/firing? Maybe it's an installation issue. Just saying "my tweeters are too bright" doesn't tell us anything we can use to help you.
Thanks you do have a point , but i must say the polarities at the moment are random. But if i may ask, what effect would reversing polarities have. Most installers dont check polarity and setups still sound good. So would i be wrong to assume that polarity wont change things much??

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The tweeters on my KRX3 set which are the same as yours aren't nearly as bright as my old K2P set. Maybe an active set-up to give you more control will help?

·
Registered
834 Posts
You can pick up a 3sixty.2 for around $225-250. If it doesn't fix your problem and you'd like new speakers, the processor can be sold for what you paid very easily. Doesn't take but a few more things to set up the processor and you'll need to run 2 more speaker wires to be active. I've installed everything I have and I've never done anything like that before. I'd do processor, then if needed, speaker change

1 - 13 of 13 Posts