DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
** I tried purchasing 3m Super 90 on Amazon and they can’t ship it to California due to some hippie bullshit. So, I’d like to buy from one of the big box stores (HD, Lowe’s, ACE).

I’m attaching this trunk liner carpet to plywood for my IB wall:
https://www.miamicorp.com/Default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=A21&catlist=104&parent=2768

I’ve been watching Custom Audio Fabrication (CAF) on YouTube, and the host Mark uses 3M Super 90 specifically when attaching carpet to MDF.

I know that others on here use DAP Weldwood spray adhesive but I’ve noticed that there are different types.

My local ACE hardware has two available:

$9.99 - Multi Purpose DAP Weldwood High Strength Rubber Contact Cement Spray Adhesive 16 oz.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/tape-glues-and-adhesives/glues-and-epoxy/1790054

Or

$17.99 - Original DAP Weldwood High Strength Rubber Contact Cement Spray Adhesive 16 oz.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/tape-glues-and-adhesives/glues-and-epoxy/1790062

Home Depot has:

$11.97 - 3m super 90
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-17-6-oz-Hi-Strength-90-Spray-Adhesive-90-24/100151277

What do you guys recommend? Also, does it really matter, or will any spray adhesive work?

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
you want DAP landau top adhesive. they also wont ship that to cali

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I'm not sure landau is necessary for carpet. I wouldn't use anything but DAP landau if you're stretching vinyl, but for light weight carpet I'm sure the 3M will do just fine.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Super 77 or 90 both work fine for carpet the few times I've used them. Let it dry for a few before sticking them together. Gotta love Cali man.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I have used 3M's and Loctite's sprays with no issues at all... I don't have the patience for the non-spray versions. :blush:

LOL @ "some hippie bullshit"!!! Seriously though, Cali is fucking retarded.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
I have used 3M's and Loctite's sprays with no issues at all... I don't have the patience for the non-spray versions. :blush:

LOL @ "some hippie bullshit"!!! Seriously though, Cali is fucking retarded.
i have used both 3m and the loctite stuff when i first started. I highly recommend NOT using the loctite. It gets nasty after a while in the heat

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
If you can, try to befriend a local upholstery supply shop in your area. They should have aerosol contact adhesive that works.

edit:

This is the product I use for any carpet; this is what is at the local upholstery shop for about $10 a can
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5222428039320428764?q=upholstery+supplies+contact+spray+adhesive&client=firefox-b-1-d&biw=2560&bih=1276&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX1iXy2CbHISp65lNiniSTT77I4aWer-6-JhDYk2JjLC7vBalnRuFfqy1-nZGjBBCl2DQu49gm7gRtG-MWC5n_cbqEh1iATCU7meqZCvXxSq4uySN4hIZAFPVH72x9Iggvx_HP6n6VXKStDuI-dO8Bw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFg_v2lKPiAhWlHzQIHXxpBkU4FBDzAgiqBA

It is extremely strong on neoprene foam as well, to the point where it will tear the foam before letting go of a panel. Carpet has to be yanked forcefully to remove, after using this stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Bull semen works!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses.

So, in summary, it looks like I can take my pick from: DAP Landau Top Adhesive, 3m super 77 (or 90) and Sprayaway Sw092.

I’m surprised no one recommended Weldwood spray adhesive. I must’ve gotten it confused with the superior DAP Landau Top Adhesive.

By the way, I can buy just about any of these products at my local stores, but for some reason there’s sometimes a problem with shipping them to California. I’m not sure exactly why.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
The landau is not a spray adhesive. It's great stuff for vinyl and projects that need to hold strong even in extreme temps, but it's overkill for a little carpet. Any of those spray adhesives should work, I've used Super 90, and the loctite stuff mentioned earlier, and both were comparable.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
trust me, the Sprayway stuff is amazing for carpet. You will use HHR Landau roof Weldwood for vinyl, but carpet (and CCF foams) will work great w/ the spiderweb glue that the Sprayway can gives you.

edit:

The last few cans I bought, they had rotating nozzles to direct a vertical or horizontal pattern, which is handy. I spray the carpet and the panel, wait ~5-7 min or so (in Vegas desert conditions, so YMMV), and then stretch as I affix the carpet. There is no do-over time, when it sticks, it is stuck.

As good as this product is, it certainly is no HHR Weldwood. So keep it for carpet, foam, etc only.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I usually assume if it worked really good 10yrs ago its regulated in CA. Freaking card board straws and expensive plasic bags. Haha. I'm waiting for the oxygen tax.

I'm waiting for all of Cali to break off in the Ocean like Tool's song said it would.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I usually assume if it worked really good 10yrs ago its regulated in CA. Freaking card board straws and expensive plasic bags. Haha. I'm waiting for the oxygen tax.

I'm waiting for all of Cali to break off in the Ocean like Tool's song said it would.
Arizona bay. I hope not. Besides the politics and taxes I kinda like it here.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just looked and the amazon website mentioned it can ship the 3m Super 77 and 90 to me. Some will arrive the next day (Monday) since the warehouse is probably nearby. For warehouse/items further away... they did indicate it will take an extended time (probably means by ground and not air shipment). But I would just go to any nearby homedepot, autozone or ace and can have it in half an hour lol.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I just looked and the amazon website mentioned it can ship the 3m Super 77 and 90 to me. Some will arrive the next day (Monday) since the warehouse is probably nearby. For warehouse/items further away... they did indicate it will take an extended time (probably means by ground and not air shipment). But I would just go to any nearby homedepot, autozone or ace and can have it in half an hour lol.
In my experience 77 holds better than 90.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts