DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am about to pull the trigger on these and I wanted to see what other peoples opinions were. They will be run as a pair, in a 1999 Tahoe with a sealed box being pushed by a Rockford Fosgate T10001 (about 650 wats each).

A) Aura MR-12.4

B) Image Dynamics IDQ12v3

C) JL 12w6v2

I am looking for a good mix between SQ and SPL with a preference to SQ. Cost and space are of no concern =)

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Nice selection there, but I would honestly put the IDQ12V3 at the bottom. I even feel that the IDQV2 were better in terms of overall sound.

If it means anything, I am selling my JL 12W6V2 to hopefully try out a Aura MR12.4....i hope I wont regret it LOL

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
The W6 will sound great and give good SPL. Since you have the space, put it in something larger than the factory recommended 1.25' box. My experience with them is they sound better and better the larger the box you put them in. Ultimately I ran them infinite baffle and they sounded amazing. I ran mine for over 6 years and ran them hard much of the time. Never a single problem. It was a sad day when I had to sell them and I only sold them because I needed the output of a pair of 15s IB. Otherwise I probably never would have sold them. Since you have the space, I would start out at a minimum of 1.7' each.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I just picked up a pair of Polk SR124's from sonic for $150 each (could not pass up this deal) and will be powering them with a RF T1000 bdcp amp. I have a 2002 Tahoe, BTW. The box will be finished by Friday and I should have it all installed this weekend. The Polk's are supposed to be very comparable to the JL W6's.

·
Registered
876 Posts
From the choices you listed I would choose the JL without a doubt. I have IDQ12 V.2 in my car now and I love them. I don't feel the same way about the V.3's but the JLW6's are an awesome driver in my opinion. Now, another to consider in the Hertz Hi-Energy. Bad ass sub! I have a set of the 10's in my truck and they are freakin' awesome. I have them in a custom built center counsole, so a very small sealed enclosure and they sound great. Go take a listen if you have an Audison/Hertz dealer near by. Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Great points Steve. Just to add I prefer the Hertz HX subs over the Mille. The Polk SR were also in the running when I initially bought my JL 12W6V2. So many subs to choose from, but I dont think you can go wrong given that they are all in their proper enclosures

·
Registered
448 Posts
The only thing better then a w6 (1 of my favorite subs and would put them above the idqv3) is the new arc audio black series. i have 2 12's in .9 ea stuffed and i absolutely LOVE them! i had idq12v3's before and while great sounding subs these blacks are a definite step up in every way, Better lows, better blending, flatter, better power handling, more composed at high spl.. i would say they are very close to the sound of the w6 but require a much smaller enclosure to produce a nice flat response.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I have googled a lot on JL W6 vs IDQs when I was interested in buying these, and the opinions seem pretty split IMO. It probably depends on music tastes and the integration with the rest of audio system. Eventually, I skipped both and decided to look for low inductance subwoofers like Peerless XXLS or Infinity Kappa 120.9w, based on numerous claims that this results in better SQ, eventually settling on Infinity Kappa 120.9w for the cost and nice looks. There is at least one review claiming it's on the same level with IDQv2. Though, if specs are right, the SPL potential is on the lower side compared to IDQv3.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yall are killing me haha. I was leaning towards the Aura but now Im thinking w6. 12w6v1 were my first subs ever and were what made me fall in love with car audio. So I have a soft spot for JL. I actually still have a set in perfect condition. Part of me wants to just go with those and save some money.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would also LOVE to try those aura's. If your not afraid to try new things go for those I bet you'll be happy!
Im not afraid but trying new things has got me in a lot of trouble in the past =P

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just picked up a pair of Polk SR124's from sonic for $150 each (could not pass up this deal) and will be powering them with a RF T1000 bdcp amp. I have a 2002 Tahoe, BTW. The box will be finished by Friday and I should have it all installed this weekend. The Polk's are supposed to be very comparable to the JL W6's.
Let me know how it sounds!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Great points Steve. Just to add I prefer the Hertz HX subs over the Mille. The Polk SR were also in the running when I initially bought my JL 12W6V2. So many subs to choose from, but I dont think you can go wrong given that they are all in their proper enclosures
Yup. I have the HX-250's. I haven't listened to the Mille but I can comment on the HX. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
yall are killing me haha. I was leaning towards the Aura but now Im thinking w6. 12w6v1 were my first subs ever and were what made me fall in love with car audio. So I have a soft spot for JL. I actually still have a set in perfect condition. Part of me wants to just go with those and save some money.
It wouldn't hurt to try those. I ran my 12W6v2 for so many years because I couldn't find anything that sounded better to me. I listened to a lot of systems trying to find something better and there were some that were better in one area but nothing I found that delivered the whole package.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to try those. I ran my 12W6v2 for so many years because I couldn't find anything that sounded better to me. I listened to a lot of systems trying to find something better and there were some that were better in one area but nothing I found that delivered the whole package.
I agree I would be running them in a second if I had the room.. There so deep They won't fit behind my rear seat (crew cab) . The only thing I found I like as much or better and fits is the arc black 12. But for the price If u can fit the w6 it's a no brainer..

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree I would be running them in a second if I had the room.. There so deep They won't fit behind my rear seat (crew cab) . The only thing I found I like as much or better and fits is the arc black 12. But for the price If u can fit the w6 it's a no brainer..
What do yall think about the JL 13w6? I have the room is it worth the extra few bucks?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just a quick report back on the pair of Polk SR124 in my 2002 Tahoe. Very nice! Musical, dig deep and loud with out being obnoxious and blend very well with the front stage. Each sub is in its own chamber, each chamber nets 1.48 cubic feet. 1.5" baffle and middle partition, all other sides are 3/4" MDF, interior walls are lined with fiberglass insulation. They sound fantastic. Each sub is getting 765 watts @2 ohms from a T1000-1 bdcp. They still have some break-in time, but I am no longer searching for my sub stage. Got the pair shipped for $300 brand new with full warranty. Very hard to beat that deal IMHO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts