DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting another sub for my car again. I have a custom enclosure that originally had a 10" Kicker CVR in it. I then replaced it with an Elevation Audio Comp 10".

I now know I was over driving the Elevation Audio, since the RMS is 250 watt. Last time I buy from a friend who is a rep for a company.

I am deciding between getting another Kicker CVR10 or the T3 Audio T.600.

Specs for the Kicker
Kicker CVR10 10" Dual 4 Ohm CVR Subwoofer
SKU: 07CVR10D4_RS

RMS Power Handling (Watts): 400

Peak Power Handling (Watts): 800

Subwoofer Size: 10 Inch
Basket Material: Stamped Steel Basket
Cone Material: Polymineral Injection Molded Cone
Frequency Response: 25 - 500 (Hz)
Impedance: Dual 4 Ohm
Mounting Depth: 5-9/16"
Outer Frame Diameter: 9-1/4"
Recommended Ported Box Cubic FT: 1.25 - 1.75 (CU. FT)
Recommended Sealed Box Cubic FT: 0.80 - 3.00 (CU. FT)
Sensitivity (dB): 85.5
Surround Material: Santoprene Rubber
Xmax (Millimeters): 12.73

Specs for the T3 T.600
*Power handling: 600 watts RMS/1,200 watts peak
*VCdia: 2.5" Le: 1.32 mH
*Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 4.40 ohms (x 2)
*Frequency response: 35-1,200 Hz
*Fs: 36 Hz *SPL: 87.97 dB 1W/1m
*Vas: 0.51 cu. ft. *Qms: 7.79
*Qes: 0.54 *Qts: 0.51
*Xmax: 19 mm *Dimensions:
Outside diameter: 10.60",
Cutout diameter: 9.25", Depth: 5.20".

Specs for my amp
Kicker ZX400.1 Class D Amplifier 400 Watts 2 Ohm Stable [10ZX4001]
SKU: 10ZX400.1-N

RMS Wattage at 2 Ohm x 1 Channel: 400

RMS Wattage at 4 Ohm x 1 Channel: 200

Peak Wattage at 2 Ohm x 1 Channel: 800

Stable down to: 2 Ohms
Active Crossover: 24dB/octave, variable 50Hz-200Hz, low pass only
Channels: Mono
Cooling Type: Heatsink
Design: Class D
Frequency Response: 25-200Hz, +0/-1dB
Input Sensitivity: High Level 250mV-10V, Low Level 125mV-5V
KICKEQ Boost: Variable to +18dB, centered @ 40Hz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >95dB, a-weighted, re: rated power
Subsonic Filter: 24dB/octave high-pass subsonic filter fixed @ 25Hz

I am leaning towards the T3 Audio since it can handle more power and I already have had a Kicker CVR break its wires. I liked how the Kicker sounded but I do not want to keep buying subs.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I have never heard about T3, but their specifications look better. Higher power handling, higher xmax (if its one way), lower inductance (almost certainly, since Kicker doesn't post own).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are those your only 2 options?

I am sure there are other options out there that are better but these two are both available for the same money for my budget of under $100. I was originally just going to get the Kicker since I know what it will sound like but it will not hold up to the amp and noisy head unit.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I am sure there are other options out there that are better but these two are both available for the same money for my budget of under $100. I was originally just going to get the Kicker since I know what it will sound like but it will not hold up to the amp and noisy head unit.
T3 audio is geared more towards spl. That being said they are some kick ass subs see the one in my avatar( the one on the left) i pulled a 153 on the dash sealed up about a year ago.
But was pretty sloppy slow whatever you may call it when it comes to music.
Not saying the sub you are3 looking at now from them will be the same but just sayin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SPL is not my main focus, being quick and tight is more important. I may have to do some more research.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
SPL is not my main focus, being quick and tight is more important. I may have to do some more research.
This also comes down to building the correct enclosure

A sub in the incorrect enclosure will get you going in the wrong direction

·
Registered
457 Posts
i would step up your budget a little and get an ssa dcon 10, used might be in your range, otherwise they're $115 new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This also comes down to building the correct enclosure

A sub in the incorrect enclosure will get you going in the wrong direction
Already have a custom enclosure built and it appears the two subs listed use similar sized enclosures.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Those Dcon's look beefy. Can they handle more than the rated power? W6v2 vs Dcon? Also, why is it subs are getting away from being dual 4 ohms or 8 ohms? Seems like subs are becoming more of a 1 and 2 ohm config :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those Dcon's look beefy. Can they handle more than the rated power? W6v2 vs Dcon? Also, why is it subs are getting away from being dual 4 ohms or 8 ohms? Seems like subs are becoming more of a 1 and 2 ohm config :confused:

I was wondering the same about Power on the Dcon since my amp is at 400watts rms into 2 ohm.

As for your other question more subs are being 2 ohm and 1 ohm to help you get the most out of your amp. If you have a single sub enclosure like mine you could get a single voice coil 2 ohm sub and have the same output on the amp as the dual voice 4 ohm. I have also seen more and more amps 1 ohm stable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts