DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone in the name of trying to stay somewhat budget minded I was wondering what everyone's take on these two options were.

Dayton dsp and spending $400 ish on two amps well know to put out good power

Or

Minidsp 6.8 and a cheap $180-200 5 channel amp

Comes out close to same overall price. Seems like I could get a bit more support for the minidsp and have a bit more adjustment

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Hello everyone in the name of trying to stay somewhat budget minded I was wondering what everyone's take on these two options were.

Dayton dsp and spending $400 ish on two amps well know to put out good power

Or

Minidsp 6.8 and a cheap $180-200 5 channel amp

Comes out close to same overall price. Seems like I could get a bit more support for the minidsp and have a bit more adjustment
People seem to like the Dayton dsp, but I run a MiniDSP 8x12, so I naturally lean in that direction. It might be better to get the Dayton and some better amps, then save to upgrade the dsp later.

Reactions: Forist

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a minidsp 8x12 and I would not want less than 20 parametric points per chanel. And that is with using all the input eq point as well. Otherwise it only has ten per input and output. I wish they had more. The 6x8 would be serverly limiting IMO.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a cdsp 6x8 and would recommend it. The digital input is great if you're running a DAC.

The dayton has some great features too. The ability to tune from a cell phone on the dayton is a great feature as well.

I'm a big fan of cheap amps regardless. Folks are picking up those Toro micro amps for cheap.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Simple answer. Buy the best DSP you can afford. Scrape what ever amps you can find together. This is the best bang for your buck.

There are differences in amplifier sound quality. But, it is no where near as different as going with or without a DSP. DSP's make or break a car audio system. It's just the nature of the beast...

Reactions: chemical_brother

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a minidsp 8x12 and I would not want less than 20 parametric points per chanel. And that is with using all the input eq point as well. Otherwise it only has ten per input and output. I wish they had more. The 6x8 would be serverly limiting IMO.
You're saying I should do a 8x12 over both? I'm fairly certain the dsp 6x8 is a better processor with more features then the Dayton. The goal with this is a pretty basic tune with pretty low expectations, and will never be more then a 2 way and sub.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simple answer. Buy the best DSP you can afford. Scrape what ever amps you can find together. This is the best bang for your buck.

There are differences in amplifier sound quality. But, it is no where near as different as going with or without a DSP. DSP's make or break a car audio system. It's just the nature of the beast...
Definitely want to get my feet wet with a dsp is there anything else I should be considering with say a 300$ dsp budget. This is going in a dd kia rio that's going to need a fair bit of noise dampening also so trying to spend money wisely

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I rarely need all ten per channel, and that is with filters added to whatever REW thought was needed.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
You're saying I should do a 8x12 over both? I'm fairly certain the dsp 6x8 is a better processor with more features then the Dayton. The goal with this is a pretty basic tune with pretty low expectations, and will never be more then a 2 way and sub.
The 8x12 is $500, but I don't think you'd be wrong to go with either of your original choices.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It depends on the vehicle. I need 10-15 bands on my mids minimum due to their less than ideal location, my mini 8x12 was great, but i was disappointed about only having 10 bands. Maybe try a helix DSP.3 - Dont get me wrong... the mini 8x12v2 is great... but the helix DSP.3 is better. I would really not go with any of the cheaper minidsp units unless your amps have a very low input sensitivity (like 0.2v-2v), the cheaper minidsps have low output voltage... your gains will be so high you will hear humming and fuzz if you have amps like mine which input sensitivity goes all the way up to 12v (i think mine are 0.2v-12v).

I know that may be kind of confusing if you dont know what that means.. feel free to pm me or post the model # of your amps you're using or looking at getting and we can tell you if the input sensitivity would be a good match for whatever DSP unit you are looking at. But trust me, this is not something you want to overlook, i have done it multiple times and regretted it when i had noise in my system from my gains being super high.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It depends on the vehicle. I need 10-15 bands on my mids minimum due to their less than ideal location, my mini 8x12 was great, but i was disappointed about only having 10 bands. Maybe try a helix DSP.3 - Dont get me wrong... the mini 8x12v2 is great... but the helix DSP.3 is better. I would really not go with any of the cheaper minidsp units unless your amps have a very low input sensitivity (like 0.2v-2v), the cheaper minidsps have low output voltage... your gains will be so high you will hear humming and fuzz if you have amps like mine which input sensitivity goes all the way up to 12v (i think mine are 0.2v-12v).

I know that may be kind of confusing if you dont know what that means.. feel free to pm me or post the model # of your amps you're using or looking at getting and we can tell you if the input sensitivity would be a good match for whatever DSP unit you are looking at. But trust me, this is not something you want to overlook, i have done it multiple times and regretted it when i had noise in my system from my gains being super high.
Thanks for the reply looks like the amps have a 6v max so hopefully the minidsp 6x8 will work good enough. As anything more then that would be worth multiple payments on the car, Its a kio rio wont ever sound like an audi. Speaker positions will be mid in door and a tweeter in some custom sails

1 - 13 of 13 Posts