DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I own a 2000 Chevy S10 ZR2 with a extended cab that I am installing a 10" Kicker Comp RT sub in. I was wondering whether it would be best to up fire, down fire, or forward fire my box. I personally would like to down fire my sub so I do not have to worry about damage and I think that it would fit best in the room I have. I know nothing about subs and which way to install them other than most backfire in trunks. Any feedback would be great and if you have done a similar install picture would be even better!

·
Registered
561 Posts
In my s10 ext cab the sub was firing foward with the port up and sounded great.The box was a trapezoid shape centered in the back so the seats would still fold down and wrapped in vinyl with the sub countersunk.For $175 box it was nice,slick.I wish I had a picture.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I take it the enclosure is under the rear seat? If so, pointing forward is most likely to get speakers damaged by feet, groceries, etc…. Pointing up is next worst, especially if you need to haul something in the cab with the seat up like a flat screen tv for example. Pointing down is the safest, but you do need some room for the subs to "breathe" Typically the sound waves of subs are long enough that there shouldn't be too much of a difference in volume or sound quality however you fire them. Firing direct into the carpet will sound the most "damped" or "controlled" because of the reflection or lack thereof. Build a small rectangle enclosure for fun and test it.

·
Registered
9,256 Posts
Hakmazter hit it pretty close, subwoofers shouldn't be too sensitive to the direction you face them, the wavelengths are long and the sound is omnidirectional. However, loading a subwoofer by placing it close to a solid structure can change the sound. I don't know how close the structure needs to be with regard to wavelength for loading to occur.

Basically, it shouldn't matter much, but if you have one location to put the inclosure in, it may make a difference depending on if the sub is loaded. Now, loading can be a good thing, so it's tough to say which direction would be ideal, but if you can't experiment don't worry too much about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts