DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide on which system setup to go with, as it is hard to decide when you don't have access to any of these products until I buy them. Which sytem setup would you go with. This will be for SQ competition.

1st
Alpine CDA-7990 (Already Own)
Brax Graphic Pro components
Brax Graphic Edition 6 channel amp
Not sure on sub

2nd
Alpine CDA-7990 (Already Own)
Brax Graphic Edition x2400.2
Brax Graphic Edition x2000.2
Not sure on sub

3rd
Alpine CDA-7990 (Already Qwn)
Sinfoni 90.2x
Sinfoni 150.2x
Not sure on sub
I think with this setup I will need an additional 90.2x

I will be using Raamat for the sound deading material, and for eqs, I will be using Arc Audio DXE, and MEQ30. I also have an Alpine IVA-D300 for dvds, mp3, and sattelite radio. I am thinking about hooking up a cheaper 5 or 6 channel amp for that radio for surround sound. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear but I think any of the equipment listed will win you some comps - if optimized properly. I've heard some very expensive systems sound like crap. Likewise, I've heard some pretty average equipment sound incredible. I think the installation and driver placement are much much more important than the equipment. With that said, go with the least expensive setup and optimize, optimize, optimize.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I agree with SteveLPfreak. It's definitely going to be the setup/tuning/install that makes or breaks the system.

Equipment wise, I'd generally avoid Brax as Imho there is better to be had for less. Consider what could be done with Seas W18NX, Crescendo, ribbons, etc. There's also alot of great deals to be had on RF power series and MB Quart amplifiers... solidly built and very powerful... although admittedly does not have that "high end" name brand appeal.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I owned & used to sell Brax components... definitely one of the better 2-way sets I ever owned.

BUT... The price of the Brax sets is not indicative of their performance. I have better setups now using Dayton Referrence drivers @ a fraction of the cost.

Just an honest observation, you will like the Graphic 6 or Pro when setup right, just don't expect the price tag to equate them to be better than anything below their price point.

I would also not put too much stock on the Graphic editions amps, as it is the Brax line are built like tanks & offer tons of flexibility with their xOver cards... I always felt the Graphic edition amps where catering to the xtreme snob audiophyle... but that's just me...

All great equipment, all those setups should yield excellent results. Focus on a good installer to get the most out of them...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, I would be getting the graphic pros for over half off and the 6 channel for over half of what the x2000.2 and x2400.2 graphic edition cost together. Would that be a good price.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Near 1/2 of MSRP on the Pro's is about $1200... Too much for a component set if you ask me... let alone a set that doesn't go into detail about the technology used in their speakers... that doesn't sit well with me because I no longer give the benefit of the doubt to the high end name brand.
$1200 is a lot of money & can buy you some very nice speakers in the DIY market & save you money in the process...

Unless ofcoarse, you just have to have the Brax set... I can tell you, that you will like them if they are setup right.

The 6 channel amp however, I would love to own... but the figure you hint at sounds like it's near the $3k range... If I had the money to spare I would probably get it because it's a beauty, rare & very flexible. I would also consider the 6 channel Mchintosh, since I am a sucker for those old analog gauge look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts