DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know what specs to look for but these did pop out.

Vertical Sensitivity: 50mV/div to 2v/div (1x), 500mV/div to 20v/div (10x)
Vertical Position: Adjustable
Max Digital Input Voltage: -8v to +13v (1x), -40v to +40v (10x)
Coupling: AC or DC

Does this mean if measuring an amp where the voltage would go over 40v this thing is no good?

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
I am not sure what kind of probe comes with that. But I have a budget scope and its uses BNC connector for the probe. I am not really qualified to answer all you question on the probes and stuff, so hopefully Chad or someone like that will chime in.

This is the unit I have
http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Digital-Oscilloscope-DIY-Kit/dp/B004G2KQT8

I didnt buy the kit, it was assembled. It was once posted in the hot deals section I think.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
It's viable for class AB amps but not Class D... if its probes will work with the voltages that amps use, anyway. If you want it to set gains or something then that's a much simpler task that it should work great for. By the way, they also have basic packages for laptops that use the microphone/line-in/USB inputs for oscilloscope functions. None are as good as a real scope, but are good enough for some uses. Just be careful not to buy some low quality knock-off that only accepts up to a 5 volt signal and blows up your PC/iPad if you feed it a 6 volt signal due to no protections...

P.S. real link: http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/07/osciums-imso-104-turns-ipad-iphone-into-mixed-signal-oscillosc

Also, there's a product already @ www.thinkgeek.com

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the iPad/iPhone idea cause it makes it pretty easy to keep close when on the go. Could keep the probes in the glove box or something. Maybe an Owon or tpi would be better? Most of my amps voltages are over 22v. I'm new to the scope idea. I've always set gains and xovers by ear or dmm. But my equipment is getting much higher end to just take guesses with.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's a logic analyzer (measures digital circuits: high and low), not an oscilloscope...completely useless for setting gains.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
one question to ponder on anything like that is what kind of isolation it has from the ipad... because it would suck to nuke that.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I thought the iPad thing would be convenient but after $300 for the hardware and $800 to replace the iPad after blowing it up, $4-600 for a real scope sounds much better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts