DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since below 20hz is more for feeling then anything I wanna know who actually has there subs playing below it. I am debating on have my w15gti play below it has decent excursion limits and can get low. Right now i have its at a very sharp narrow wq to 20hz on my dsp so I was more of less wandering what music plays below it and how many of yall do it

·
Listener of Music
3,425 Posts
I cross my truck sub at 20. I am fascinated by feeling the shake and not hearing it. I always loved it. I believe it adds a psychoacoustic impact that you can't get rid of once experienced.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everyone haha but honestly man I'm gonna boost the 20hz range for sure just gotta make sure I don't do over excursions on the subs

·
Listener of Music
3,425 Posts
How many people really need their subs playing at 20hz or below??
I really believe everyone. Not every artist has content that low but those that do have it for a reason.

Reactions: dumdum

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just makes me wander if I should filter it out or not on the eq?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't know which kind of music you listen to, but very little instruments play below 30hz, probably not even 20hz.
Not mentioning lost of mastering have a 20hz cut off.

·
Listener of Music
3,425 Posts
Some subs don't really like playing down there. So I'd say it's up to the sub.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Most Music has no real content below 40hz.
But play a classical piece with a pipe organ ,you better have the ability to play below 20hz.
Most judging materia has a track or 2 with subsonic frequencies.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Most Music has no real content below 40hz.
But play a classical piece with a pipe organ ,you better have the ability to play below 20hz.
Most judging materia has a track or 2 with subsonic frequencies.
Maybe most of "your music". I have a lot of music with bass below 30hz.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Well, my 18" sub is tuned to 30.5, and it's the most musical subwoofer setup I've ever built, out of about 30.
Since I'm running two 15" passive radiators which are tuned by adding or subtracting weighted washers on the back of the cone, it would be really easy to drop that tuning as low as I wanted to, and I'm sure that would be really fun with my ultra low bass collection 🙂

However, the t trade-off, is that it wouldn't sound quite as good, or as loud, above 30 hz as it does now, and honestly (except for demo's) I listen to more "normal" bass music, on a general basis, than I do crazy techno electronic stuff, with the crazy low bass.

Now, all of this said, lately I've been getting all interested in true infinite baffle subs with big ass holes cut right through the floor ! These can play LOUD bass down to 6 or 9 hz !!!
I'd love to have a super IB sub that grabbed from say 9hz to 30, and just a strong typical sub grabbing from 30-90 hz 🙂 I want it all 😉

Oh but hey, even as it's tuned now, it digs down to low 20's pretty well. Blurs your vision 👍 Don't know about hair tricks though, as I'm bald 😄 lol

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Maybe most of "your music". I have a lot of music with bass below 30hz.
Not just my music but music in general. As in music made with actual instruments not synthesized to produce notes for effect.

As you even mention in your next post, what you listen to is stuff specially made to play sub sonics , which most people may or may not classify as actual music.

As much as I do enjoy some techno and some new rap , when we are talking about actual music , as in, an audiophile recording there is rarely much info below 40hz.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Not just my music but music in general. As in music made with actual instruments not synthesized to produce notes for effect.

As you even mention in your next post, what you listen to is stuff specially made to play sub sonics , which most people may or may not classify as actual music.

As much as I do enjoy some techno and some new rap , when we are talking about actual music , as in, an audiophile recording there is rarely much info below 40hz.
🙂 Lol

I listen to so much different stuff... From techno electronic, to country, to rap, to classic rock, to christian music... Speaking of which, have you ever heard of Toby Mac ? Check out 21 years (about his son who passed away earlier this year) the bass notes in that song drop off to the low 20's.

......and I couldn't care less what a so called audio file calls any of it.... Or thinks about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Infinite baffle filtered at 30 hz. Had a hard enough time chasing out the rattles. I see no use in shaking things with infrasonic.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Infinite baffle filtered at 30 hz. Had a hard enough time chasing out the rattles. I see no use in shaking things with infrasonic.
In my personal experience, it's not the very lowest bass notes that cause the most rattles, but rather the 40-60 hz stuff that includes the cabin gain peak...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I know this is car audio and I really don’t chase deep bass in the car but my 24” subs for my home theater are flat at reference down to 6/7 Hz. There is plenty of content down there for music and movies but it is inconsistent. Meaning even the same audio engineer isn’t consistent from movie to movie, I’m assuming the producers affect the inconsistency.

As an aside, the movie Lone Survivor has a helicopter scene where I’m sure they measured a real helicopter. When they put the helicopter sound clip in the movie, they filtered it out somewhat but left in a sound at 6.7 Hz and even worse, it was 10 dB higher than the rest of the soundtrack. Talk about giving my 24s a workout. :)

I’ve also sold several subwoofers for digital pipe organs, where the deepest notes are handled by a subwoofer since an 8 Hz pipe is 64 ft long, of which there are only 3 pipe organs in the world with the 64’ pipe.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have no evidence, but it seems the very low notes contribute greatly to the ambiance of the recording. You get a better feel of the hall, colosseum, arena, bar...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts