DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to Old School Power! Say you could have any early to late 90's powerhouse amplifier over again. What would it be? Lets say anything over 500 watts at 4ohms. I love my Alpine 3545. I still own it. Its a monster and nobody else has them anymore!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
ppi pc2100. 400x1, so i think it's close enough. mine lasted 4 cars :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just bought a PPI pc 2350 to run my subs. Always wanted one of these

·
Registered
316 Posts
Also, even to this day, I miss my RF punch 200 ix/dsm amps. God they were clean and strong.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually own not one, but TWO 200ix, one of them complete with covers and never touched.

But if I could find a mint one I'd go with an Audio Art 400.2XE. Awesome SQ, 2x200 or about 800W bridged.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I still regret selling my PPI 2150AM. That darn amp sure sounded pretty good for my subwoofer!

·
Registered
816 Posts
When it comes to Old School Power! Say you could have any early to late 90's powerhouse amplifier over again. ....
WOW ...you kids are funny ...90's is hardly 'old school' ...by the 90's most car audio had already begun the downward spiral.

>^..^<

·
Registered
316 Posts
WOW ...you kids are funny ...90's is hardly 'old school' ...by the 90's most car audio had already begun the downward spiral.

>^..^<
Not a kid here, 37 in fact. I would say that so far the amps mentioned were not part of your downward spiral. As far as I know they are some of the best amps made by the respective companies.... with opinions being armpits, and everyone having a couple of course.

·
Old Schooler
205 Posts

>^..^<
I guess it depends on your frame of reference Catman. A lot of the guys on here are younger (20's to mid thirties) and to them early 90's is when they came into this hobby. Many have grown up in a digital age, never played an LP or had a tube amp. You probably go back a bit further. I know I do.

I remember the eighties and a touch of the seventies in car audio, but then again, I'm 52. IMO, most guys only stay in this hobby about 10-17 years before college, work, wives, kids and mortgages take precedence.

From what I recall, the downward spiral started in the mid-late 90's.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
+1 for frame of reference, perspective is everything.

Still, regardless of age, the early 90's was without a doubt the heyday of mainstream mobile amplifiers. Those were the days when they were built like tanks for the sake of power, and for the first time it was readily available to the masses on a nationwide scale.

You may as well ask if there were any I wouldn't want to own. Just off the top of my head, here are a few that I heard in plenty of installs 'back in the day', but never actually owned:

Linear Power
Lanzar Optidrive
PG MS gold
Orion HCCA
US Amps "surfboards"
a/d/s
Precision Power A series
Hifonics original "gods" series
Zapco Studio
McIntosh
MMATS

Add the aforementioned RF & Soundstream to the list, and you have got the most of the good ole days covered. Maybe they weren't all that efficient, and maybe they were a bit more temperamental, but they all made power that wouldn't quit, provided that you could keep them cool & supply them with enough current.

Now that's not to say that there hasn't been considerable progress made since then, but for a while there a lot of so-called "improvements" in the realm of mobile amplifiers has been in the area of bells & whistles - and in many cases at the lamentable expense of sheer power and quality construction.

In very general terms, I think it is fair to say that during the early part of this decade, in the wake of several buyouts, many of the mainstream amps produced were not up to par compared to the ones available 10 years earlier in terms of clean power they were capable of producing. These days, many new names have established a new definition of quality & value to the aftermarket autosound enthusiast, and I think it's also safe to say that these days we are better off then we ever were before when it comes to mobile amplifiers.

Would I still like to have a lot of amps from the past sitting in a box somewhere? Hell, yes. But it would be out of nostalgia more than anything - with the exception of maybe LP, I would trade any of them for a modern signal processor and fiberglass supplies.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Zapco Studio, Autotek 100.2 AMX and 200.2 AMX (the unicorn).

·
Tuning is everything.
2,761 Posts
IMO, the mid '90s were the best years for car audio as far as quality and craftsmanship. Advances in processing, tuning, and driver design since then have made everything better. It's a shame that you don't see the better build quality along with the modern technologies.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
IMO, the mid '90s were the best years for car audio as far as quality and craftsmanship. Advances in processing, tuning, and driver design since then have made everything better. It's a shame that you don't see the better build quality along with the modern technologies.

Agreed on the processing. As for quality, I think that these days we are seeing quality that is on par if not better than we had 15 years ago - at least among the better name brands.

I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of mediocre amps out there, but maybe because there are so many, that influences the perception that quality products are harder to come by. In reality, I think that there are plenty to go around. Perhaps it's just harder to bring ourselves to spend the money on them, particularly nowadays, when cheap power is so easy to find.

·
Tuning is everything.
2,761 Posts
Agreed on the processing. As for quality, I think that these days we are seeing quality that is on par if not better than we had 15 years ago - at least among the better name brands.

I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of mediocre amps out there, but maybe because there are so many, that influences the perception that quality products are harder to come by. In reality, I think that there are plenty to go around. Perhaps it's just harder to bring ourselves to spend the money on them, particularly nowadays, when cheap power is so easy to find.
Maybe true for 10% of the manufacturers out there, but the other 90% are bent on making things cheaper, not better. There some exceptions though...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well, I would like to find a nice black PPI 2350DM (not the Power Class series) and I am still looking for a black PPI Pro Mos 450.
I have found that it you are patient and look hard enough, you can still find the stuff you longed for back when it was new.
I think quality control is the big shortcoming in many new car audio products, especially amps.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
I got suckered into the BS called nostalgia only to find that some memories were best left in the past. Say what you will, but the power produced by a product manufactured 15 to 20 years ago can not hold a candle to some of the modern amplifiers out there on the market today! ETA: The noise floor is like night and day difference too. Granted it could be old capacitors, but, even with fresh capacitors, some of the older amplifiers still exhibit a slight hiss with no signal present.

I am going to do a semi old school setup in my fiancée's vehicle with an LWE module and Orion amplifier, but I will avoid old school gear for myself.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts