DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who Lies ??

Which brands in your opinion just flat out lie About their RMS Ratings ?

This is both Speakers and Amp's

Also What are some brands that are coming back ?? Or has stoped their lying.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Which brands in your opinion just flat out lie About their RMS Ratings ?

This is both Speakers and Amp's

Also What are some brands that are coming back ?? Or has stoped their lying.
I grew up in RLB. Used to live on Scotty's food.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Audiobahn, Rockwood, Jensen... all the jack-squat lines that use a model # to entice a buyer.

Look for a EIAJ rating, which is the industry standard for power...

If the amp is 5" x 5" x 5" & puts out 1,000 watts... red flag. If its a Head unit & pits out anything more than 15wx4, red flag.. If a speaker is so light you can toss it with q hand & its claiming huge power handling.. its BS...

common sense mang... common sense...

Rob

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I wouldn't put Jensen quite in the same category as Rockwood, the amps do put their rated power down (or at least used to). Has that changed?

Actually, I tend to avoid anything that is rated at "maximum power" since it's a totally useless and inconsistent statistic.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Rule of thumb,

Lower end over rates

Higher end under rates

If it seems to good to be true, it probly is...

Pretty simple..

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Pay a little more now to save a lot later.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
How did I know that somebody would put that in here. The OP wasn't asking about companies that "underrate" their amps. Just those that overrate them.

Audiobahn, Jensen, Pyle, MTX, Phoenix Gold Octane series and countless other brands that claim 1KW amps with 20 amps of fusing. LOL!

It does seem that SoundStream is really trying to make a comeback though. I hope that they can do it because SS and PPI were my all time favorite brands back in the 90's. Too bad that I don't think PPI will ever be what they were back in the days of the Art series amps and flat piston subs. :(

·
Registered
502 Posts
^ he actuallly asked who "lied" about their ratings. Not who under or overrated them.

Really I'd bet just about all amp companies are being truthful---it is all in how you measure it. I bet all amp companies can show you in a lab the measurement they are stating in their literature. It might not be a reasonable way of doing it, but I bet it could be achieved.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
^ he actuallly asked who "lied" about their ratings. Not who under or overrated them.

Really I'd bet just about all amp companies are being truthful---it is all in how you measure it. I bet all amp companies can show you in a lab the measurement they are stating in their literature. It might not be a reasonable way of doing it, but I bet it could be achieved.
Fair enough Andy. But I wouldn't say Patrick lies about his ratings. Like you mentioned in your second paragraph, it's all in how a company measures their gear. :) But this isn't the thread to debate this topic again so I'll drop it.

Oh and Earthquake is another company that comes to mind for crap gear. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
^for the record I don't know "patrick", never used a zuki amp, never looked at or read any of the zuki threads on here or elsewhere--and really know nothing about the product/person at all.

So my comments had nothing to do with him, the company or the products.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
From what I understand, a lot of manufacturers state "total" wattage which is the "peak" output at it's lowest rated ohm-load for all channels together, which is likely only available for split second moments. The RMS measurement can even be deceptive. There is even an issue with some CEA rated amsp where an amp can make it's RMS rated power @ 4-ohms but then their 2-ohm rating falls FAR short of the stated power output.

So, it's not easy to find an amp that does it's stated power output under reasonable testing conditions.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts