DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we fuse our amps right at the battery, but ive never seen a vehicle with a fuse right by the battery,

why not?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
my escape has the main battery cable go to the main fuse panel under the hood within 8 inches of the battery. has a 150 amp fuse right inside the fuse panel.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You're probably thinking of the conventional configuration where fuses were not placed between the battery & the cable feeding the starter. The old starters would pull huge current spikes. Modern starters are very much better.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most are fused, not necessarily with a "traditional" fuse, some have a fusible link in the main cable itself. If the fuse box is within inches of the battery, what is the likely hood of that short cable being dead shorted to the chassis. It would be about as likely as the battery breaking it's mount and shorting its terminals on the hood.

Only reason, very important, for fusing the main power run for amplifiers is to protect the cable from a dead short to the vehicle chassis.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Far as I know everything is fused except the starter, which in a low battery situation needs every amp it can find. It is typical for headlights/etc to have fusible links in the wire. Also typical for OE wiring to be very careful of wire damage and shorting.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Far as I know everything is fused except the starter, which in a low battery situation needs every amp it can find. It is typical for headlights/etc to have fusible links in the wire. Also typical for OE wiring to be very careful of wire damage and shorting.
This^. In the case of the starter, the run is short, carefully placed, often guarded, and basically 100% constrained at all points in its run. Alternator tends to be the same way for models that aren't fused. I can't think of any other components that are not either fused or protected by fusible links.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts