DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really hard time understanding why people put brand logos of the equipment they have on their car. I get it if you are getting free or massively discounted product and by obligation must include the logos in the install or on body. I am talking about the thousands of amateurs that put big stickers, embossed logos on boxes-panels or other method (routed plexi for instance), that take the time and money to highlight brands they paid for without assistance......for what? Pretending they have a sponsored ride? I dont get it....

I remember a few years ago (ok, a few more then a few) when I was doing the SPL thing. I ran all Kicker amps and subs, and as an amateur would compete in PRO (few comps had any amateur competitors with 12-15" and 10K watts).
I would mount all my subs and amps upside down. When a kicker rep (pissed, as the kicker vehicles didnt get close the attention I did and thought it was 'disrespectful') asked me why I did that and I explained that it was BECAUSE I paid for all my stuff.....kicker didnt give me S- (this actually changed in the future, but had nothing to do with my logo inverting-hiding).

Not to mention that putting logos on the outside of a vehicle advertizes to potential thieves what type of equipment you have....

Not to piss anyone off but it has always been my opinion that if you are putting logos of equipment on your car or in your install without obligations from the manufacture makes you a tool.

~JH

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I've never been a fan of ANY type of stickers on vehicles. Reminds me of NASCAR.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never been a fan of ANY type of stickers on vehicles. Reminds me of NASCAR.
HA!

Fish, my REAL deal is racing....I have companies give me some free product....but its always under the condition that NO LOGOS WILL BE ON THE VEHICLE!

I hear ya! LOL

~JH

·
Registered
117 Posts
In my boom years,[early 90's] I wasn't sponsored but got insane discounts from the shop owner I befriended. He never asked me to sticker my car, but did give me shirts and hats to wear with brand and shop names on them. No problem. I did have stickers under the hood though,more as reminders during the presentations to the judges,of what I was running that week or month.. It was kinda fun. And being a middle aged guy [back then] rocking a frikken Nissan wagon,nobody noticed me anyway as far as theft was concerned..

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Not to mention that putting logos on the outside of a vehicle advertizes to potential thieves what type of equipment you have....

~JH
THIS. I won't even bother responding to the rest of your post - there's too many differing opinions to be had.

If you put brand stickers on your daily driver, you're asking for things to be stolen :mad:

If you have brand stickers because your car is sponsored, I hope that you keep that vehicle in a locked, windowless garage, and never leave it out of your direct line of sight if you take it out in public.

I'm also against personalized license plates - they draw too much attention.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
^^^ x2 on that. those stickers are just a "steal me" sticker for thieves. they will prolly hear your system when you drive it. why tell them what brand you have too?

·
Registered
840 Posts
^^^ x2 on that. those stickers are just a "steal me" sticker for thieves. they will prolly hear your system when you drive it. why tell them what brand you have too?
:p Not around here. If it's not at Best Buy or they don't remember it from high school, nobody knows it. I could have a decal filling my rear window that said "Zapco" and everyone would just assume I sold tasers or electric fencing.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Do people still steal audio stuff? There is hardly any money in it unless you know someone with a high end system and have a way to sell the stuff. So few cars have anything worthwhile, and I never hear about it around here anymore. Sure some people (or parts of town) they will steal anything just to steal it, but usually here they are stealing cats and gas and tools mostly or getting into a building. I've done stealth in my cars for a long time nearly habit now, but I know hardly anyone with a system here. Only a few cars drive around here bumping and hard to say what they have might be cheap stuff anyway.

Far as stickers I figure most of those people just want bling, and a few of them actually race or compete and have a reason or just want to look the part. I love to follow them on the e-way when I'm speeding.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I hate flashy stuff and advertising. I had a pair of Metco billet control arms that I got in exchange for running a small sticker on the car and I absolutely hated it, I felt like a ricer. I'm all about going fast and looking and sounding stock. Same with car audio. I would have taken the Dynaudio logo off my tweeters already if I wasn't going to sell them.

Most of the people around here with big audio stickers on the back window have very average systems at best and I've never seen an SQ car with a sticker, it seems to be limited to SPL guys or Best Buy guys. My car sits in an open parking lot for 10 hours a day unattended 45 minutes away so advertising is the last thing I want to do. At least with the subs in infinite baffle with any screws coming from the inside of the car and going toward the trunk, amps under the seats, it would require at a minimum breaking inside and undoing a lot of screws and seats.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do people still steal audio stuff? There is hardly any money in it unless you know someone with a high end system and have a way to sell the stuff. So few cars have anything worthwhile, and I never hear about it around here anymore. Sure some people (or parts of town) they will steal anything just to steal it, but usually here they are stealing cats and gas and tools mostly or getting into a building. I've done stealth in my cars for a long time nearly habit now, but I know hardly anyone with a system here. Only a few cars drive around here bumping and hard to say what they have might be cheap stuff anyway.

Far as stickers I figure most of those people just want bling, and a few of them actually race or compete and have a reason or just want to look the part. I love to follow them on the e-way when I'm speeding.
My cousin used a tie strap to attach his sub box (with amp mounted to it) to his back bench seat in a truck with no tint. It was a magnet for thieves, within a year it got stolen. All the thief had to do was break his rear window, snip the wires and go, and that's exactly what they did.

It was only $250 in equipment, but between that and the broken window he definitely wasn't happy. This time around he built a box to go under his rear seat, and attached his amp to the vehicle.

My install is mostly stealth. The HU is aftermarket, but blends pretty well. My comps are in my door, and my rear cargo area will be covered with a cargo cover (those spring loaded covers in SUVs that extend to cover what's in the back). I don't want to end up the victim of a smash and grab.

Has anybody seen those "protected by Viper" lights that you mount in your dash? They don't seem like a very good idea IMO. If somebody is willing to advertise that they have an alarm, chances are they have something of value to protect.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Has anybody seen those "protected by Viper" lights that you mount in your dash? They don't seem like a very good idea IMO. If somebody is willing to advertise that they have an alarm, chances are they have something of value to protect.
on the other hand, statistics prove that thieves will ussualy leave a car with an alarm alone. too many other targets to bother with someone coming out with a gun and shooting them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Most thieves stealing audio equipment nowadays isnt to sell it, instead theyre stealing it to run it. They cant afford it themselves so they take someone elses hard earned money away.

Whats funny is that I went to a localish mini comp and there was a guy that was displaying his setup in his trunk and another guy came over with a police officer and proof of ownership of the equipment to the guys car and had him arrested for theft. Im sure that rarely ever happens but thats the intelligence of most thieves too.

·
Registered
464 Posts
People do it because people are a product of their environment - we live in a material world with lots of advertising. Monkey see, monkey do.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000.1 on not putting stickers on my car and especially parts related stickers that tell people what I have done and/or am running.

I am even having a hard time wanting to build my system in the complex I live in because I am adimant about not advertising that I have a system. Mondays are the worst for me as that is when the lanscapers come in and do their thing. Every time I am even doing an oil change I see them staring and trying to see what I am doing.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
:p Not around here. If it's not at Best Buy or they don't remember it from high school, nobody knows it. I could have a decal filling my rear window that said "Zapco" and everyone would just assume I sold tasers or electric fencing.
^^This. I've still not met anyone locally that has ever heard of Hybrid Audio or could recognize the logo. Not even the "expert" install shop guys who have been in the industry for 10 years. I say go for it... Security through obscurity.

Now JL audio OTOH... I think even my grandma has heard of them.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000.1 on not putting stickers on my car and especially parts related stickers that tell people what I have done and/or am running.

I am even having a hard time wanting to build my system in the complex I live in because I am adimant about not advertising that I have a system. Mondays are the worst for me as that is when the lanscapers come in and do their thing. Every time I am even doing an oil change I see them staring and trying to see what I am doing.
And that's why I get all ticked off when I see a house listing that says "HOA fee includes front yard maintenance."

NOPE! Nobody is coming on my property. It probably means the HOA fee is entirely too high in the first place. I'm buying a house for privacy and to be able to do my own interior design and exterior landscaping. I can't have anybody snooping around my yard every week.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That's why I hang target paper in my garage.

Oh, and then there's also the 1911............ ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts