DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a pair of 6.5 cdt 2 way speakers, where the tweeters burned out. and now i have a pair of cdt 5.25 components where one of the mids burned out on me. I did use the passive xovers they came with. also put about 50watts rms to each side off a ppi pc450 (1 channel for each components). i'm getting fed up with this..what's going on?

·
Registered
983 Posts
The answer is simple, CDT really doesn't make all that great of speakers. That's not very much power, especially if you're trying to push them hard. Are you clipping your amp (does it sound distorted when you turn it up)?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the ES-07's and pushing 200 watts through them. I push these to the limit for a long time and have never had a issue with them at all. I must have a good set.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the ES-07's and pushing 200 watts through them. I push these to the limit for a long time and have never had a issue with them at all. I must have a good set.
i turn them up, but usually when it hits to the distortion level, i turn them down a few levels. there's no reason for them to be burning out on me like this, especially with 50 watts. i have a pair of cheap pioneer running off the same amp for over a year before and never had any problem with them

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do you think it could be something in the crossovers? Did you use the same crossovers on the different sets? Same side going out everytime? Make sure that the speaker isn't deeper than the pioneers and grounding out on a metal serface. All the ideas I have

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I have limited experience with cdt just using one of their comp sets way back but I dont hear about them blowing that much. You sure youre not clipping your amp badly? I recall they like more power than that.

Theyre not as bad speakers as people seem to think here. Just overpriced and nothing special.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think it could be something in the crossovers? Did you use the same crossovers on the different sets? Same side going out everytime? Make sure that the speaker isn't deeper than the pioneers and grounding out on a metal serface. All the ideas I have
one set was a 2-way 6.5 speakers. the other was components 5.25. the crossover was only used on the component sets. the component was put into q-form kicks so they definitely had enough space.the 6.5 was on a different amp. i'm not sure 100% about clipping, but the cdt are the only ones that given me an problems.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
I have personally seen mids out of a $800 comp set be burnt up.

It was all from improper use and setup!!

·
Registered
741 Posts
You're probably running them too low and running out of power... a.k.a. - clipping the amp.

I'm running 50 watts to my Rainbow's, but then again I have them crossed over at 60Hz - 2kHz, and my amp actually puts out closer to 70 watts. Mine play loud and clean as loud as I can stand it. Even at 60Hz, they still put out a nice solid thump, but zero distortion and no fried voice coils. Also, I'm running a completely active setup, no passive crossovers.

Believe it or not, but your passive crossover networks are sucking up a bit of that 50 watts of yours, so your CDT's aren't getting the full 50 watts anyway. Probably more like 40 watts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had and run three different sets of ES-6's run both passive (Satnet 560 crossover) and active. My first set did have a problem and and CDT gave me a special replacment cost even though they were three years old at the time.

My second set went bad due to operator error before they were even installed. Went to show a friend my new speakers and one of them dropped out of my hand. CDT had not problem replacing them for a nominal fee.

My third set of ES-6's have recently been installed and are being fed about 120 watts rms and I am driving them hard and they haven't given me any issues. I started them crossed over at 50 hz and have settled at 80.

My advice would be if you are having issues contact Jonathon over at CDT support they have been great with me.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
I had a pair of 6.5 cdt 2 way speakers, where the tweeters burned out. and now i have a pair of cdt 5.25 components where one of the mids burned out on me. I did use the passive xovers they came with. also put about 50watts rms to each side off a ppi pc450 (1 channel for each components). i'm getting fed up with this..what's going on?
You are sending too much power to them :(

When an amplifier clips, it produces more power under the bridge [ too much power for too long ] the first thing to go will be the tweeters :(

How to fix problem > get a more powerful amp {downside = more money}, now you can drive those speakers with cleaner waveforms { round..not square }, no more burnt tweeters or mids ;)

This would be NPDang thoughts on it >
Let me add to this. Most 6.5" drivers you see will quite easily fail both thermally and mechanically with a continuous 100w power. Depending on both the length of time driven, and the frequency.

Dynamic range is great, but bear in mind some if not many people can't hear a difference between a compressed/clipped dynamic peak and one that isn't because it's such a brief period of time. Also, many amps are capable of significantly higher burst levels than their cont. power rating.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If the cone wasn't mounted perfectly centered or aligned within the magnet, one side of the voicecoil could have been sitting closer to the magnet in the magnetic gap than it should have due to a manufacturing defect. Add heat and the two will start to expand a little and potentially start rubbing up against one another. If I had to guess, it would be that.

But you can't really tell until you take the speaker apart.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Let's not blame everything on the guy. I don't think he's pegging it at clipping for hours at a time. I would expect the tweeters to go much more quickly, but mids are pretty hearty. You are not going to blow mids because you play a clipped signal for a minute or two. That just doesn't happen. A clipped signal is bad, especially for tweeters, but c'mon. They don't just sieze up from clipped music for one song--maybe a badly clipped sine wave for several minutes, but not music.

In my early days of car audio I would clip my amp for an entire album. I did that for years and my speakers never siezed or blew up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts