DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a valid reason why most people don't protect their expensive sub woofer cones from damage by using a protective mesh or grill?

I was lucky enough to find a set of steel grills in India that fit my Rockford Fosgate 10" subs for $4 a pair.....they now help protect my expensive subs from damage if there's any un-secured items in my trunk!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Wouldn't $4 buy another set of Rockford Fosgate subs? Just kidding, a good question though. I have always been nervous of the sub hitting the grilles in many of my applications. I really don't use them though because most grilles don't complement the sub very well. What style did you get?

·
Registered
491 Posts
IMO, grilles are ugly. Also, if you have a high xmax sub part of the fun is watching the cone move back and forth 4 inches at 20hz:surprised:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't use them on my cars cause decent looking ones w/ sufficient clearance are hard to find and I fire into the backseat anyway. However, on my wife's RX330 I put on the full bling chrome spinning wheel w/ the blue LED:D. A little revenge as I am not a big SUV fan for non-offroaders...but I was decent enough not to hook up the spinner.

·
Former Installator
298 Posts
I agree with the other guy... most grills offered by mfgrs are FUGLY!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Ain't ugly... ain't a grille...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I cant seem to find a decent looking grill that actually offers some prorection and doesnt cost half as much as my subs

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Creikey...quite a few different trains of thought there!

Just to make it clear...my installation is a practicle one and not intended for any sound off competicians. I use my Land Rover as an every day driver & desert vehicle and usually have quite a few strange shaped objects in the cargo area.
I'll get some pics up later but basiclly the grills are about as grill shaped as you can imagine....pretty much like what you'd find on a PA speaker really. It might be an 'ugly' grill but the speaker will still work when something falls against it.... as opposed to a super sexy speaker cone with a split because it wasn't protected!
I installed my sound system for listening to when I'm driving....not to gaze at in wonder of how much the cone can shoot a table tennis ping pong ball into the air!

The Rockford subs have quite a pronounced flexible rim around the outside...I don't know the technical name for it but it's the suspension part of the sub I suppose.
The woofers travel is substancial so I spaced the grill away by a half an inch to clear any rebound from the cone as it came out.
All will become clear when I dig out the digi-cam.

Thx for the replies...an eye opener.

S.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think they don't look good. Also, I usually don't have anything in the trunk that can damage the sub, so it's not needed.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
not to gaze at in wonder of how much the cone can shoot a table tennis ping pong ball into the air!
Now why didn't I ever think of doing that? Thanks for the new idea Streaky. :D haha. Speaking of PA grills, why not score a proper sized grill off of an old guitar amp and just mount it in place if needed? Rugged, big enough, and should be cheap as well as readily available. Just some food for thought.

Cheers,

Zach

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
I thought about it too. My RE SE subs are vunerable in my trunk. I think there are a set of JL Audio grills that will work with my RE SE's but they aren't really cheap. I wish there were a set of grills for like $20 shipped that would work. :(

·
Registered
82 Posts
Eh, I don't use them either because my subs are pointed into the back of the rear seat + the seats are slanted so theres no way the subs could hit anything. The Xmax is only .44 in as well (old fosgates LoL 97 RFP 1210 TS and still sound great).

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I have a nice looking one on a temp box I used with a 10 in it. Yeah, I had to put nuts behind it to space it out more but you can't see them. It is heavy chrome bars that go towards the center, was cheap on epay from a retailer lot. In my car now they fire into the seat so nothing needed.

This one: http://cgi.ebay.ca/METRA-FISHMAN-FM...14&_trkparms=72:1215|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
But was <20 the one I got. It does barely clear the suspension of the MTX it is over, really should be larger diameter inside.

Sonicelectronics has a lot of grills. Tsunami catalog: http://www.tsunamionline.com/ Metra seems to make a lot of them. I kind of do like just the bars that go across.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I use a PE bar grill similar to the JL one pictured above. It's minimal, but better than nothing. On the other hand, my sub is up-firing (for now), so its not like anything could just roll into it anyway.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had one of the PE chrome bar grilles when I had my RE SE10 behind the seat of my S10. That was only because I didn't want my seat interfering with my sub.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've tried a couple grills, but they wont fit. My sub fires up and sit's right under the passenger side trunk hing. There isn't enough clearance between the hing and the woofer if the grill is flat across, which is pretty well every grill I've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts