DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking and asking various shops for recommendations on which subwoofers to run in my car, I can't tell you how many shops recommended four 6.5s. What is the deal with this?

That is less cone area than a pair of 10s and the 6.5s have a FS of nearly 50 Hz to OVER 50 Hz. Why are they making these recommendations? Wouldn't a single ported 12 with a FS in the upper 20 Hz range play deeper and only be slightly down in cone area compared to four 6.5s?

I'm just curious as to what the deal is with the 6.5 push... :confused:

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where were they/you planning to put these 4 speakers?
I want to do something a little different with a walled direct cabin fire through the pass-thru with the rear seatbacks either folded down or removed. I'll measure again, but I'm certain I have room for a single ported 12, which is about the most weight I want to dedicate to a sub with a birch enclosure. Two shops were like "Nah man, you want four 6.5s!" One is pushing Sundown and the other is pushing Digital Designs.

Really, let's discuss physics here. A 6.5 has about a 6" piston area and four of them add up to approximately 113 square inches with a FS of 51 Hz. The 12 that I am thinking about with an 11.5" piston area adds up to about 104 square inches of cone area and has a FS of 28 Hz.

Call me crazy, but the single 12 "should" dig deeper, whereas the four 6.5s could be perceived as louder depending on the transfer function of the vehicle. I think my last WRX peaked around 45 Hz, so this one is probably close to the same peak frequency. Regardless, the peak transfer frequency is probably in the 40 Hz range... I'm also assuming the 6.5s are like my high FS Digital Designs 1508s which were able to get a nice bump just below FS due to the tuning of the box.

These days, I'd rather be able to feel the bass versus hearing stupid loud higher bass notes since my hearing is getting worse as I age. In other words, there is no point in being loud for the sake of being loud any more. I know, it sucks, but I'm officially old...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The other problem is that for a family of subs that use the same suspension and motor structure, the sensitivity is higher for the larger subs and lower for the smaller subs. So not only do you lose out on cone area, you also lose out on efficient use of power. And speaking of power, the smaller subs may not be able to handle much power, the Sundown X 6.5 was only 300w RMS. Maybe if you went 8 of the 6.5” subs? :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unrelated to your original question, but if doing a 12” through rear ski pass, might also be worth looking into infinite baffle. Pretty happy with mine, great SQ setup that can still hit low and look great. IMG_2615.jpg IMG_2612.jpg

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unrelated to your original question, but if doing a 12” through rear ski pass, might also be worth looking into infinite baffle. Pretty happy with mine, great SQ setup that can still hit low and look great. View attachment 251881 View attachment 251879
Both my seats fold down and I have a fairly large area. I may pull them all together as no one sits back there anyway.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I wouldn't go with anything smaller than 8" for subbass....
Years back there was a big fuzz with 6,5 inch subs from DLS,.... well that kinda gone away very quick.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I've done the 6.5" ported thing, (quad of the TB neo units), and it was meh all the way. Soaked up 1100W of power, tuned to 30ish hz. It had a lot of impact but could never really please me.

Short answer, I don't know why others are recommending what they are. But, it shouldn't matter. You do you, and you already know the math well so you know that you're right. Go with the biggest cone you can fit, and accommodate from there.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Why not use a 12" L7 Kicker... or Square MTX? Or other square sub? It is a square ish opening.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Something tells me the profit margin on 4 6.5" subs is way better than the profit margin on a single 12" sub. What they don't know is you're not the average clueless customer walking through the door.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is that a 13W3? How’s it sound with a single?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12w3v3. It sounds pretty good, very pleased. I know there are better IB drivers out there, but already had this sub in the family, and quite surprised at how well it works in this application. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts