DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DLS A5 amplifier and got it installed yesterday. I'm not happy with the output on the subwoofer channel. The amp is rated 780 watts @ 1 ohm and it's nowhere near as the output of my Directed amp that does 600 watts @ 1 ohm. What gives?

So whenever I turn the volume up a bit, the amp goes into protect mode. Does anyone know why it would do that?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
sephiroth619 said:
I have a DLS A5 amplifier and got it installed yesterday. I'm not happy with the output on the subwoofer channel. The amp is rated 780 watts @ 1 ohm and it's nowhere near as the output of my Directed amp that does 600 watts @ 1 ohm. What gives?

So whenever I turn the volume up a bit, the amp goes into protect mode. Does anyone know why it would do that?
I cant comment on the problem, but I will say that I was very impressed with the power of my friends Directed amp that was rated at 600x1.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
we need more info... type of sub. type of box etc... give some details

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I figured it out.

On DLS's website, it states that the amp is 1 ohm stable. On the manual, it states "DLS A5 mono channel is 1.33 ohm stable." Even then they recommend/require an external fan.

Basically, I ran my subs down to one ohm, when I turned the volume up a bit, the amp went into protect mode. I disconnected one sub and am now running the one sub at 2 ohms. It's stable but less output.

Sucks.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
it should not have cut out like that though a 1ohm... if anything it would have got super hot before shutting down

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I spoke to Eng (Dualsomething) and he recommended that I lower the gain on my components and keep the gain at 3.5v-4v on teh subwoofer channel. I'm going to try it out, it sounds very promising. Because my components are really LOUD!! and the subwoofer channel isn't keeping up.

As many people that I've chatted to have already mentioned, it's more of a tuning problem than the amp itself.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
zfactor said:
it should not have cut out like that though a 1ohm... if anything it would have got super hot before shutting down

i dont know as much as zfactor, but from experience that has happened to me before.....but ive never used dls amps, so maybe they are smarter than other amps ;)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
sephiroth619 said:
Well, I spoke to Eng (Dualsomething) and he recommended that I lower the gain on my components and keep the gain at 3.5v-4v on teh subwoofer channel. I'm going to try it out, it sounds very promising. Because my components are really LOUD!! and the subwoofer channel isn't keeping up.

As many people that I've chatted to have already mentioned, it's more of a tuning problem than the amp itself.
LOL!
Yeah, A5 shares the sub power with front channels, FYI. If you run front channels to 2 ohm, the power going to sub channel will decrease...
I had my A4 powering midrange and midbass, a5 tweeters and 3 lotus sub.
I break 140 np... :D

So, what's your finding?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^So far, better results in terms of loudness with the sub. The component gain is set at dead minimum and its still relatively loud, which is a good thing. Now the subs are able to keep up. I still only have one sub hooked up, at 2 ohms. I'm going to hook up the pair tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Oh yeah, just making sure, the sub channels' crossover is set properly at the amp, right? I set mine at 125 hz LP (non defeatable) and my H701 at 80 hz..

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
we have run customers a5's at 1ohm with no problems.. they do get hot though... if you are running the front at 2 ohms it could i guess pose a bit more of a issue but still the amp shouldnt just clip out... if it was the heat it would take a bit of time before it shut down

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
btw have you checked the setup for clipped signals?? any chance of gtting a o-scop on there to make sure they are set right??

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
zfactor said:
btw have you checked the setup for clipped signals?? any chance of gtting a o-scop on there to make sure they are set right??

That's tough to do with music. It can be done with a signal generator but remember that a sine wave is not music and has no crest factor. Doing it with a signal generator and an O-Scope will undersell yourself on possible gain.

There was a gizmo called a clip cop that could be built as a kit that consisted of a Piezo element listening for the harmonics of clipping. Never tried it with music but I imagine it would be way easier than trying to catch a clipped signal from music on a scope. It can also be done with a digital storage scope and a pulse generator so that you can adjust the crest factor scenario.

Chad

1 - 18 of 18 Posts