DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not asking for speaker recommendations on this thread. I am just curious about this issue. There are a few good examples of 6x8 speaker systems (such as JL Audio C5), but once you go beyond bargain basement kind of speakers, most manufacturers do not offer them. I am so sick of screwing around with adapter brackets. Is there something about economics of speaker manufacturing that makes the 6x8 speaker unprofitable?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd guess that it is because the demand is MUCH lower for 6x8's vs 6x9's, which is a stock size on many vehicles.

I'd be curious to see what the statistics are, on how many vehicles came stock with 6x9's vs 6x8's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Other than they are mostly only used by Ford Motors vehicles? Wouldn't you invest in shapes/sizes that are more universal? That's my guess anyway. I also never understood why it was so hard to find 'true' 6x8's. I don't even remember which vehicles used 5x7's!

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I think GM used 5x7 and Ford has 6x8. You can bend the ends in a little and fit 6x9 in Fords usually, if it mounts in the metal, and if you have top room just put a spacer over the hole and the 6x9 will fit. Or put 6.5 in a plate or hog coax 8s in. A whole lot of 6x8 are just 5x7, I have them and they suck IMO though doubt they are any different than 6.5s. Bottom is weak, and I mean 5x7 coax and comps. A real 6x8 is better and there are few of them. Problem is I rather an 8 or 6x9, don't really like most 6.5s.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I'm on my third Ford vehicle that takes 6x8s and every time I used something other than a 6x8. Heck, I even used a 6.5 in my wife's Mazda Tribute when she had it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
6x8's are hard to find because its so easy to put a 5.25, 6, or 6.5 in with adapters, and so few people with hardcore systems put any weird shaped speakers in it. no one makes decent 4x10's either. There's no market and no point wasting R&D on it. Make the cheapies in OEM sizes so people have their boltins, and make your serious speakers in standard sizes that fit 90% of the cars, and can be easily adapted to 6x8's as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts