DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple Way To Adjust Gain:

Turn HU 75% of the way Up & start Turning Your Gain Up Until you Hear your Speakers Clip than Back off the Gain a Bit & BAM DONE!

(yes, I know-it's not an O-Scope but it "works")

After A bit Of EQ'ing, you have a pretty "Good Sounding" Sound System right?

Now turn that Volume down & you notice your Sound System doesn't sound as good-Loss of Detail/Dynamics, Substage Fades, the whole works kind of fades...

Why?

How Can One *achieve* a "Good Sounding" Sounding System at Low, Moderate, & High listening levels?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Normally when I tune a system, I have the driver turn the HU up to the volume they'd most likely use the most.. Then I turn off the sum amp & adjust the mids & highs.. Once those are at a decent level, I start adjusting the subs.. Do you have the high & sub amps set to a matching frq for the speakers being used?

My brother had a saying, "If you gotta turn it up past 1/2 to sound loud then you're doing something wrong"..

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is because of 'loudness curves' (Google it.)

Basically, at high SPLs, the ear responds pretty much equally to all frequencies, whereas at low levels, the ear is not as sensitive to low and high frequencies as it is to middle frequencies. The ear is most sensitive to frequencies around 2-4kHz - most speech information is carried in this frequency range, and our hearing has evolved to be most sensitive here. What this means is that at low levels, low frequency tones need more energy to sound as loud as middle frequency tones.

This is what the 'loudness' function of head units is for. Basically it is an equalisation curve designed to cancel out our hearing's loudness curve at low levels. It boosts the bass and treble, making audible the frequencies that are not heard so well at low levels. If it's designed well, it should apply more emphasis to low and high frequencies at low levels, than at high levels.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ So the "Loudness" Function is the ONLY way To Fix this issue?

- I thought there'd be more to it

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Using a DD-1 (similar to an o silla scope) works for me, but then again my front stage can handle my amp's "max unclipped" power along with my woofer, so it's loud when i want it to be or when i want things to sound good, i just drop the sub level on my head unit so everything can blend. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 'loudness' function is designed to fix this issue. Whether it does a good job or not depends on how well it's designed. You can achieve the same thing with EQ, but you'd have to keep changing your settings when you turn your system up.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The 'loudness' function is designed to fix this issue. Whether it does a good job or not depends on how well it's designed.
Which is usually awful

·
Registered
24 Posts
you're only supposed to use it at low listening levels, really. If you leave it on and turn the system up, it will probably sound bad.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Check out loudness curves that doitor published from the P01, other models might be available on the forum as well. I have loudness on and then tune my car. That way if I back off the volume I still have bass. All that on the Pioneer P88-RSII. My usual listening level on the deck is 40 from 62 max and that is somewhere round 92 db so if I back up volume bass goes up compared to midrange (see thread below).

Pioneer P01:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/74329-testing-pioneer-carrozzeria-deh-p01-freq-respose-eq-x-over.html

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Agreed that loudness is the only way to fix it. Fortunately it's built into the Acura HU so it automatically eqs up the low and high end and as you turn the volume up it progressively flattens out.

·
2,103 Posts
Agreed that loudness is the only way to fix it. Fortunately it's built into the Acura HU so it automatically eqs up the low and high end and as you turn the volume up it progressively flattens out.
Rubbing it in I see?!?! haha. I'm actually a little jealous.

I thought I remember seeing Bing's work on a 350z or 370z maybe where he posted the RTA results of the factory outputs @ low, mid, and high volumes, and it shows similar findings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts