DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Noise floor doesn't matter as much if we're talking sub power which is where I tend to direct any surplus of power. Now if we're talking front stage then I would agree with this sediment and doubling power can have adverse effects.

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,352 Posts
Noise floor doesn't matter as much if we're talking sub power which is where I tend to direct any surplus of power. Now if we're talking front stage then I would agree with this sediment and doubling power can have adverse effects.
This is a honest reply here and not trying to argue or cause a scene but how do you explain hiss in a sub freq range that makes the same hiss in the midbass midrange and tweeters when they all have xovers on them to not supposed to happen? Mainly the sub stage seems to be the one that surprises people. Rcas power snd ground wires where changed. Dsp was changed. I know it was the amp or at least I thought it was but it took a combination to make it happen as taking some things away made it disappear but not one thing directly caused it.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I have seen this mentioned a few times…
Why is it that is draws more power?

Are the areas that were nulls now getting 2-3x the power? Or what is the effect of the EQ that ups the power needed?
It doesn't draw more power. With lots of cuts you end up with lower overall volume, more wattage can somewhat alleviate that problem.

Reactions: audiodelic

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
This is a honest reply here and not trying to argue or cause a scene but how do you explain hiss in a sub freq range that makes the same hiss in the midbass midrange and tweeters when they all have xovers on them to not supposed to happen? Mainly the sub stage seems to be the one that surprises people. Rcas power snd ground wires where changed. Dsp was changed. I know it was the amp or at least I thought it was but it took a combination to make it happen as taking some things away made it disappear but not one thing directly caused it.
The noise in signal to noise ratio is created by the internals within the amplifier not from the signal it receives. A noisy amp will be noisy even with no signal. Sometimes it's caused by induced rf noise and sometimes that rf is created by the switching power supply within the amp itself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: jdurango

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,352 Posts
The noise in signal to noise ratio is created by the internals within the amplifier not from the signal it receives. A noisy amp will be noisy even with no signal. Sometimes it's caused by induced rf noise and sometimes that rf is created by the switching power supply within the amp itself.

Normally I would agree with you 100% but it happened on all my c2k amps and i know it didnt do it on a guys test bench when we went to go test the zapco c2k 4kw i was buying of his which i also happened to try one of the sub amps also that has this issue but the noise isn't reproduced. I would think it was my sldin-t-f balanced transmitter except i only have one left so i used it on the 4kw and the other 9.0 on the test bench which had no hiss. So literally its all my cables but cant be reproduced in the test bench but does in my car but on my ap amps nothing at all... so the issues is this i have 7 c2k amps or more and they all do it which is impossible because i know they don't from the test bench but its only doing it in the vehicle which is why i originally changed the grounds and rcas but ill try something again that might fix it because i know its not equipment. It honestly is the weirdest issue i have ever come across. For the longest time i thought it was my hybrid battery below it but because the ap amps don't do it maybe it has something to do with the balanced inputs extra ground and hybrid battery which also makes 0 sense because the purpose of that is to not have it happen but i will try moving the amp outside the vehicle hooking everything to to see what happens then move closer if it doesn't do it.

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
2,007 Posts
I guess I spoke too soon, someone does make a staggered power amp, yay Alpine!
I almost forgot about this guy, I don’t know if Sundown is a good company aside from being a boner brand years ago but with the exception of tweeters this chunk of metal would run midrange, midbass and subwoofers with some impressive (stated) power. Everything but the thd appears to be top tier chit.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
It doesn't draw more power. With lots of cuts you end up with lower overall volume, more wattage can somewhat alleviate that problem.
So one still needs only like 20W/channel for tweeters?
(And 50w for MR)

Reactions: 420tabbycat

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
I’ve generally thought that higher amp wattage allows lower gains which results in lower noise?
Haha… For any given wattage you need the same gain on a 20w or 2000w amp.
Just you might be on the supply rails with the smaller one.

You need a certain specific RMS voltage to get the wattage, and that is a constant if we use say pink noise and a fixed HU knob setting.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
So one still needs only like 20W/channel for tweeters?
(And 50w for MR)
Yep, and much more for midbass and subs, because that is where the big problems are.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Normally I would agree with you 100% but it happened on all my c2k amps and i know it didnt do it on a guys test bench when we went to go test the zapco c2k 4kw i was buying of his which i also happened to try one of the sub amps also that has this issue but the noise isn't reproduced. I would think it was my sldin-t-f balanced transmitter except i only have one left so i used it on the 4kw and the other 9.0 on the test bench which had no hiss. So literally its all my cables but cant be reproduced in the test bench but does in my car but on my ap amps nothing at all... so the issues is this i have 7 c2k amps or more and they all do it which is impossible because i know they don't from the test bench but its only doing it in the vehicle which is why i originally changed the grounds and rcas but ill try something again that might fix it because i know its not equipment. It honestly is the weirdest issue i have ever come across. For the longest time i thought it was my hybrid battery below it but because the ap amps don't do it maybe it has something to do with the balanced inputs extra ground and hybrid battery which also makes 0 sense because the purpose of that is to not have it happen but i will try moving the amp outside the vehicle hooking everything to to see what happens then move closer if it doesn't do it.
Indeed - that's really odd.

But, yes. My version of noise would appear in bench testing as well so your situation is not related to the "amp's" SNR but is being introduced by the install somehow.

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,352 Posts
Indeed - that's really odd.

But, yes. My version of noise would appear in bench testing as well so your situation is not related to the "amp's" SNR but is being introduced by the install somehow.

I can only think of two things over input voltage because of the line drivers or something causing interference because of everything so close together except the ap amps are the same exact spot

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I can only think of two things over input voltage because of the line drivers or something causing interference because of everything so close together except the ap amps are the same exact spot
I'm thinking it's something to do with the combination (like you said previously) and the differential inputs.

If it was mine I'd hook it back up with the cover removed and use a signal probe (if you don't have an oscilloscope then you can create a signal probe in REW by cutting the end off a signal cable and using the bare wires as the probe) to trace the noise backwards through the amp. If it's the differential input then you'll see the noise on one of the three pins and trying different combinations of "lifting" the ground or tying them together (both the individual grounds and the equipment grounds) to prevent loop currents (like direct boxes in pro audio) might help.

It's one of those issues that I hesitate to offer troubleshooting techniques for as they are complicated, time consuming and difficult to replicate reliably while making incremental changes...

41 - 52 of 52 Posts