DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, it's a dumb question for sure, but i searched over the internet and found nothing. Will any Clarion cd changers work with a Macintosh MX-406 headunit?
Thanks!

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
I know, it's a dumb question for sure, but i searched over the internet and found nothing. Will any Clarion cd changers work with a Macintosh MX-406 headunit?
Thanks!
Not a dumb question at all and you're right, very little info is available when it comes to CD changer compatibility. I'll share what I know.

These early Clarion changers; CDC605 (6 disc), CDC1205 (12disc), and CDC1805 (18 disc) will work with the MX406. They use the same 13 pin round control wire and same optical cable. The changers can be bought pretty cheap, but if the optical cable is missing expect to pay $60.00 to $100.00 for a replacement.

The bad news is trying to find one that still works. The Clarion's seem to have led brutal lives, unlike the much more expensive McIntosh MCD4000 "sister model" six disc changers. For that extra money you got a fancy machined aluminum housing/mounting brackets and a digital BNC output that the Clarion's were missing.

Clarion changed over to a square pin plug control wire and a different optical cable on later models. I can't help with those, since I've never tried them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i found Clarion CDC1805 changer, and it really works with MX-406 but have this issue: it reads disks only in the first cd-bank, but not in the 2-nd or 3-rd. Where is a problem- in cd-changer or in Macintosh, as i know Macintosh has only 6-disks changers, not 18 :confused:

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
With multiple magazines loaded in the CDC1805 your MX406 display should read something like this: CD2-1 T-01

To switch between magazines press the BND/MAG button.

If it is only reading one magazine the display would look like this: CD 3 T-01

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, here my little DIY about how to make 5m optical cable if you have only 1.5m one.

First of all i disassembled the plugs on the ends of a Clarion cable. The grey plug contain optical sender and the black one-reciever.

Then i took a cheap toslink to 3.5mm optical adapter:

And instelled it like this, using couple of layers of heat shrink tubing on a 3.5mm end of an adapter:

then i assemled all back:

And fixed plugs with a heat tube:

Now you can use any Toslink cable of any lenght you want. :cool:
Looks ghetto but works fine!

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
At least i found this tread. :) My optical Clarion cable is broken (DONT try to bend it around to narrow corners), and finding a new one is like find snake wings. TY, Mixagolf.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts