DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed these in my 02 4Runner run off a bridged Alpine F300 amp for my front stage.

Pioneer USA - Premier

They sound pretty good to an extent and then start to distort. I guess I was just expecting more. I didn't install components due to budget and ease of install but now am considering spending a little more. Will I notice a difference if I switch to these instead??

Pioneer USA - D-Series Speakers

Looks to be basically the same speaker but with a bigger xover. Will I benefit from the tweet and mid being separate and will these sound any different??
Oh, I'm thinking of switching to active as well but really don't have the skills to set everything properly. Any help would greatly be appreciated

·
Registered
997 Posts
I recently installed these in my 02 4Runner run off a bridged Alpine F300 amp for my front stage.

Pioneer USA - Premier

They sound pretty good to an extent and then start to distort. I guess I was just expecting more. I didn't install components due to budget and ease of install but now am considering spending a little more. Will I notice a difference if I switch to these instead??

Pioneer USA - D-Series Speakers

Looks to be basically the same speaker but with a bigger xover. Will I benefit from the tweet and mid being separate and will these sound any different??
Oh, I'm thinking of switching to active as well but really don't have the skills to set everything properly. Any help would greatly be appreciated

Before changing the speakers out, trying increasing the HIGH-PASS filter on the amp (or engaging it if it's not engaged). It's quite possible you're simply over-driving the speakers at lower frequencies. Increasing the high-pass filter setting should reduce that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before changing the speakers out, trying increasing the HIGH-PASS filter on the amp (or engaging it if it's not engaged). It's quite possible you're simply over-driving the speakers at lower frequencies. Increasing the high-pass filter setting should reduce that.
Thanks a lot Brian. Should I even use the filter?? I thought I would run them with no filter since their coaxials??

·
Registered
997 Posts
Thanks a lot Brian. Should I even use the filter?? I thought I would run them with no filter since their coaxials??
Assuming that you've got a subwoofer, IMO you should ALWAYS engage the high-pass filter on your front stage. Leave the lower frequencies to the subwoofer to reproduce - a 6.5" driver mounted almost open-baffle in the not-very-good enclosure of a front door is going to produce more distortion than anything else at those frequencies, particularly when you turn the volume up.

Assuming the HP filter is 12dB/oct, start at around 50 Hz. Use a higher frequency if you're still hearing distortion at respectable levels.

The 6.5" component speakers in my front doors are currently high-passed at 125 Hz, 12dB/octave (deck), and again @ 40 Hz, 12dB/octave (amplifier).

·
Registered
11 Posts
You might be suprised at the improvement if you follow Brians recommendation. I have a pair of CDT components installed and am getting ready to put in a subwoofer. Anyways, up till now I have been running my amp w/ no filtering. The speakers have always sounded good, but limited by some distortion at higher volumes. I was messing around the other day and decided to set the high pass filter to where I thought it would be set when I install the sub - around 90 hz. Wow, what a difference. I now get cleaner sound at higher volumes, and amazingly the bass even sounds better too. I think by sending all frequencies to the speakers they struggled with the lower frequencies and that compromised even frequencies they should excel at. Now, everything sounds better - even without a sub.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assuming that you've got a subwoofer, IMO you should ALWAYS engage the high-pass filter on your front stage. Leave the lower frequencies to the subwoofer to reproduce - a 6.5" driver mounted almost open-baffle in the not-very-good enclosure of a front door is going to produce more distortion than anything else at those frequencies, particularly when you turn the volume up.

Assuming the HP filter is 12dB/oct, start at around 50 Hz. Use a higher frequency if you're still hearing distortion at respectable levels.

The 6.5" component speakers in my front doors are currently high-passed at 125 Hz, 12dB/octave (deck), and again @ 40 Hz, 12dB/octave (amplifier).
Thanks a lot Brian. I'll go try it now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just switched it over and it sounds a little different but not much. It still distorts once I go past 25 on my HU.

One thing that I did notice is when I first hooked everything up, I had the gain on the amp set at the minimum setting to adjust everything and they still distorted once I turned the HU up to max. It was like they were getting too much power from the beginning with no adjustment what so ever. I only have the gains turned up about 1/4 turn on both sides. Not really sure where to go from here.

I've had a lot of systems in the past but not many with a great front stage so it's probably just my noobness. I can only compare these to an old set of Diamond Hex's I used to have amped that totally rocked the house. Got really loud and clear.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Just switched it over and it sounds a little different but not much. It still distorts once I go past 25 on my HU.

One thing that I did notice is when I first hooked everything up, I had the gain on the amp set at the minimum setting to adjust everything and they still distorted once I turned the HU up to max. It was like they were getting too much power from the beginning with no adjustment what so ever. I only have the gains turned up about 1/4 turn on both sides. Not really sure where to go from here.
Could be that your gain settings are off. Or your HU's output voltage is too much for the amp. Or you simply have the bass level on the HU set too high.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be that your gain settings are off. Or your HU's output voltage is too much for the amp. Or you simply have the bass level on the HU set too high.
Off as in both not set at the same level or too high?? How could it be too much for the amp? It's a 2008 model Alpine F300. Bass level on the unit is set at -1.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turn the gain on the amp down to its lowest level. Does the sound still start to distort around the same volume setting on the HU?
No I can go higher on the HU if I turn the gain down but it still starts to distort before I get to the max volume. I mean it doesn't sound horrible but it's def not clear and crisp anymore.

·
Registered
997 Posts
No I can go higher on the HU if I turn the gain down but it still starts to distort before I get to the max volume. I mean it doesn't sound horrible but it's def not clear and crisp anymore.
You're likely not going to be able to hit "max volume" on your HU without some measure of distortion.

You could try this: With the gain on the amp set at its minimum setting, Turn the HU volume up until the sound just starts to sound distorted, then turn it back down a notch. Then, turn the gain on your amp up until it just starts to sound distorted again.

If the total volume at this point isn't as high as you'd like it to be, try increasing the high-pass filter frequency on the amp, if possible, then turning the gain up on the amp again until distortion just starts to reappear.

I suggest turning down the treble during all this testing - most of the distortion would likely be occuring in the bass region anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
maybe your deck starts to clip at above 25, make that your max setting then turn the gain up slowly on the amp till it starts to distort, then back it down a little bit. 25 will be your max volume once that is set. Be careful, the distortion may be clipping from your head unit, you will easily cook that speaker if you keep playing it that high.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I'll work on it some tomorrow when I get a chance. I simply might have too much power for these speakers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts