DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning my system in my daily driver('08 F250 King Ranch) and am
currently trying to find a suitable amp to power all of my speakers.
Currently, my system is as follows, Pioneer AVH-P4300 H/U, HAT Imagine
6.5" comps in front doors, going to be adding 6.5" midbass to the rear doors, and a Diamond S124 in a sealed enclosure. Door speakers are all installed in
dampened and deadened doors.

My question is this: What type of difference will I really see
choosing the Leviathan over something like the ID i5800? I realize
that the Leviathan has more power than the i5800, but at normal listening levels will I really be able to tell the difference in power? Will the sound quality be that much different?

Help me justify the over 2x price jump from the i5800 to the Leviathan. I am all about a stellar system, but at a point there are diminishing returns.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The Leviathan has about 3x the power and much more flexible crossovers.

If you're getting the Leviathan III you'll be getting 190 watts/channel on your components, 190 watts per channel on your midbasses and 600 watts to your 4 ohm sub. Vs 65 per channel and 250 watts for the sub at 4 ohm. that's a big difference in power.

The nice thing about using the Leviathan over the ID, in addition to the fact that you have almost endless power, is that in your case you'd be able to set up the gains to stagger the power between your component set and mid-basses. Having close to 200 watts per channel for midbasses is a GOOD thing as that's where much of the punch comes from. Additional power on a subwoofer never hurt anyone either. You'd also get the added benefit of being able to run the midbasses band pass using the Lev's built in crossovers, something that would be difficult given your head unit choice and the limited crossovers on the ID.

Will it sound better at "normal listening levels"? I don't know, what's normal for you?

If all you plan to do is run it at 90-100db all the time then the difference may be moot, but if you want the ability to rip someone's head off...well...MOAR POWAR wins out.

Another route that might fit nicely between your two options: 2 PPI phantoms (P600.2 and P900.4) - That would get you 145x2 for your components, 190x2 for your midbasses and 450x1 for your sub, at a price of around $390. Then you get the added benefits of more power, as well as band pass crossovers.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The PPI's are def the value leaders in every regard.

Of course the leviathan looks cooler and it's name sounds much cooler to.

Personally big AB amps are so passé, like wakling aroud in present day with something like this out on the streets

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Based on all of the sound advice that you have given heck yea lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Leviathan has about 3x the power and much more flexible crossovers.

If you're getting the Leviathan III you'll be getting 190 watts/channel on your components, 190 watts per channel on your midbasses and 600 watts to your 4 ohm sub. Vs 65 per channel and 250 watts for the sub at 4 ohm. that's a big difference in power.

The nice thing about using the Leviathan over the ID, in addition to the fact that you have almost endless power, is that in your case you'd be able to set up the gains to stagger the power between your component set and mid-basses. Having close to 200 watts per channel for midbasses is a GOOD thing as that's where much of the punch comes from. Additional power on a subwoofer never hurt anyone either. You'd also get the added benefit of being able to run the midbasses band pass using the Lev's built in crossovers, something that would be difficult given your head unit choice and the limited crossovers on the ID.

Will it sound better at "normal listening levels"? I don't know, what's normal for you?

If all you plan to do is run it at 90-100db all the time then the difference may be moot, but if you want the ability to rip someone's head off...well...MOAR POWAR wins out.

Another route that might fit nicely between your two options: 2 PPI phantoms (P600.2 and P900.4) - That would get you 145x2 for your components, 190x2 for your midbasses and 450x1 for your sub, at a price of around $390. Then you get the added benefits of more power, as well as band pass crossovers.
Thanks Dave! After your post I did some reading into the Phantoms and they seem like they would be perfect for what I am looking to achieve. I appreciate your informative reply.

Now I just have to decide between a 12" Dayton shallow sub or Alpine Type R Slim.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Lev Rev 3's power is 190 minimum. It does more like 230 but I'm just saying as I have one and is UBER efficient and great amp. Get the Lev Rev 3 as it will be the only amp you'll ever need :D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts