DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

with the use of the usb dongle for control via the phone.

This would be my first forray into tuning. I have a 2 way up front, sub in the rear, and yes single rear drivers which are attenuated greatly right now. I have run two sets of wires to the front components already so I can control those individually. Running a 5 channel amp as well.

Not sure if it matters but once I get back to work in a few weeks, I have access to digital o-scopes and signal generators. I have used both in basic circuits.

Or should I look into a dsp that has a built in rta with ability to connect a mic?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Unless your going to retune the system ever week or so , there’s no reason to spend the extra money for a rta and mic if you have the scope and other setup gear. That Dayton dsp is a great start up dsp. You may find that it’s all you’ll need anyway. If you do buy it I believe you can send it back within 30 days
Or you could sell it as a used item and get most of your money back. And I’m seeing a lot of post about it ( both good and not so good) but just about a power noise, and they have gotten that worked out now
I have the older Rockford 3sity1 and 3sixty2 units and a few Dayton audio dsp boards
I’m a fan of the Dayton audio products
They really do make good products, and parts express has a great tech support team
So for me it’s a good unit to try out. I myself plan on buying a few of them for my truck and for 3”2 or 3 of my home systems.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless your going to retune the system ever week or so , there’s no reason to spend the extra money for a rta and mic if you have the scope and other setup gear. That Dayton dsp is a great start up dsp. You may find that it’s all you’ll need anyway. If you do buy it I believe you can send it back within 30 days
Or you could sell it as a used item and get most of your money back. And I’m seeing a lot of post about it ( both good and not so good) but just about a power noise, and they have gotten that worked out now
I have the older Rockford 3sity1 and 3sixty2 units and a few Dayton audio dsp boards
I’m a fan of the Dayton audio products
They really do make good products, and parts express has a great tech support team
So for me it’s a good unit to try out. I myself plan on buying a few of them for my truck and for 3”2 or 3 of my home systems.
Good luck

Thanks. I guess with the scope and signal generator, I need to have a mic for the scope. I think we have one at work. I am going to read more on tuning before I take the plunge and buy a dsp. I would like something to set and forget.

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would not buy them used. Things like this your better off with a warranty and return options

·
Registered
865 Posts
Okay well, my Dayton 408 is doing a great job now. But their was another guy here, who got one the same time I did, and both of ours were making a loud, hideous alternator whine. We both struggled for a while. He finally gave up and got a different DSP.
I, on the other hand, tried something kind of hokie.... But it worked...
I got a 12 v to 110 v power converter, then used the little 110 v adapter that came with the DSP.... So in other words, I went from 12 v to 110v, and back to 12 v... And it actually worked. Totally rigged, and kind of goofy... But they told me at Parts Express that since I reported the problem when new, if they ever updated that issue, I could return it for a replacement however long in the future.
The phone app works fine though.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Okay well, my Dayton 408 is doing a great job now. But their was another guy here, who got one the same time I did, and both of ours were making a loud, hideous alternator whine. We both struggled for a while. He finally gave up and got a different DSP.
I, on the other hand, tried something kind of hokie.... But it worked...
I got a 12 v to 110 v power converter, then used the little 110 v adapter that came with the DSP.... So in other words, I went from 12 v to 110v, and back to 12 v... And it actually worked. Totally rigged, and kind of goofy... But they told me at Parts Express that since I reported the problem when new, if they ever updated that issue, I could return it for a replacement however long in the future.
The phone app works fine though.
I wouldnt call it hokey. you literally built a ground loop isolator for the power system. if it works, it works!

As for the OP, I would recommend it. I got one of the first ones when they came out and have no plans to replace it. for $150 you cant beat it.

Reactions: robabeatle
1 - 7 of 7 Posts