DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So my plan is to combine two sets of components to make on three-way set up. My car is a 89 civic sedan. The doors accept a 6.5 in the doors. Forms has kick panels that will accept a 5.25 and tweeter. Can i get two sets of components a 5.25 & 6.5 and use the 6.5 just as midbass? Use the passive crossover for the 5.25 set and active crossover for the midbass and sub? I am on a budget so its important for me to not waste money. I looked into buying the individual speakers but then im lost on the crossover. Was thinking focal access or cdt or i am really open to suggestions. The car is not a show car and i really don't want a 6k system in a 1k car..... Im ok buying used to save money too. So if you have some ideas or know of a great deal on some lightly used equipment.........

Tia

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
unless you just really want a 3-way front end. save some money and just do a 2way. get a good 6.5" in the doors and pick a tweeter you like. this is tried and tested and will sound very nice. just concentrate more on install and less on stuffing tons of speakers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. So i put a 6.5 in the doors and the tweeter. Is there a min or max distance from the mid it can be placed? I mean is it too close or too far if i mount it in the upper portion of the door panel?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
it is always best to keep the tweeter as close to the mid as posible. sometimes installation locations are gonna dictate where it goes. if you get the tweeter too low it can cause imaging issues from being blocked. (legs, passengers, etc) if you get it too high, then you get time alignment problems. how you mount it will depend on the tweeter too. some are better on axis some are better off axis.

the upper part of the door might work ok, but my knee jerk reaction is that it is too far. what I would do is get some sticky tack and mount it in a few locations until you find one that sounds the best. then mount it permanently.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do i know if it is better on or off axis? I mean other than buying it and listening to it?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if you buy something that people here are familiar with, just ask. most people will tell you. :) if you are buying from a good install shop, they should know too.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
It is best to keep the tweeter close to the midrange if it's going to crossover within the vocal range. If you're crossing the tweeter over at around 4k+ then it doesn't hurt to run a mid in the door, and tweeter in the pillar.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. So as of right now what has my interest and is in my price range are:

Focal access 165a1
Massive audio ck6
Cdt cl-62(i think)
Mb Quart onyx216
Focal polyglass 165 vb
Polk audio mm or db

anyway. All 6.5 separates. Or another suggestion?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and some of those i could get used. Again if it works and can be had for a bargin then i am oj getting it used.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
image dynamics:

xs65 ($430)
or the cxs64 ($320)

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Ok. So my plan is to combine two sets of components to make on three-way set up. My car is a 89 civic sedan. The doors accept a 6.5 in the doors. Forms has kick panels that will accept a 5.25 and tweeter. Can i get two sets of components a 5.25 & 6.5 and use the 6.5 just as midbass? Use the passive crossover for the 5.25 set and active crossover for the midbass and sub? I am on a budget so its important for me to not waste money. I looked into buying the individual speakers but then im lost on the crossover. Was thinking focal access or cdt or i am really open to suggestions. The car is not a show car and i really don't want a 6k system in a 1k car..... Im ok buying used to save money too. So if you have some ideas or know of a great deal on some lightly used equipment.........

Tia
What you're trying to achieve is called quasi-active in 3-way. I still have one system wired that way and I love it.

For this to work, you should get a 5.25" set that has every kind of adjustments as possible in the passive Xover. For eg., my Focal K3P set has a switch that EQs the off-axis midrange (driver's side) to match the more on-axis one (passenger's side). Also have 0 to -7dB in 1dB increment for tweeter levelling...
Recommendation about a tweeter being as close as possible to the midrange is a good one. Tweeter aiming is another important thing you should focus on.

In your price range, I'd only recommend this set: Alpine SPX137R 5143834 Car Audio Component Speaker System - Pricefalls.com
... unless you can find a used set of Focal K2P 130KP/KR ;)

Kelvin

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have to agree on simplicity. Personally, I have yet to develop an fine ear to detect SQ, but by polk 6.5 2 way momo comps sound pretty darn good for the crappy current install. Buy some quality comps, then experiment on installation till you're happy. just my 2 cents. feel free to tear down my arguments haha

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I keep changing paths on this build......i have really become swayed to just a two way right now. Im very pleased with my polk audio home speakers so i would feel comfortable trying polk audio car equipment. I had a momo 300.2 and it was an outstanding amp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts